USB GPS receiver for laptop/PC - X-post

Any recommendations for a good GPS receiver to connect to a laptop?

Back in the day I had a serial cable for my old Etrex but I don't currently have a serial port, and I suspect that a USB receiver would be cheaper (and much more effective) than sourcing a USB/serial cable for a serial eTrex.

A quick look suggests that there are some at £10-£15 and others £30+ but I have no idea how good these are and how well supported they are by mapping software.

One use would be to update Open Street Maps

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

David has brought this to us :

You can buy serial to USB adaptors.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

However my eTrex will not support the latest alternatives to GPS such as GLONASS nor have the latest and fastest chipset.

I should perhaps have asked which GPS chipset is the one to look for.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I use these with aftermarket car ECUs - like MegaSquirt. Do note not all are identical. Some chip sets seem better than others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

David schrieb:

Hi Dave,

I recommend Navilock NL-8002U though it is a little bit pricey:

It can receive (AFAIK) all existent GNS-Systems; there is a programm with which you can configure it according to your needs.

HTH

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

Reinhard Zwirner schrieb:

[...] Addendum: I'm not and in no aspect affiliated with Navilock ...!

Regards

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

Thanks.

In effect a vote for the ublox-8 chipset.

I am assuming that the most significant factor in these devices is the chosen chipset.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

So, possibly three contenders so far which seem to be able to access the latest satellites.

with Mediatek MT3333 chip.
with ublox-8 UBX-M8030-KT chipset.

Or possibly only two.

with SiRF IV chip. I am not sure that this one can receive GLANOSS signals, though. Also, not good reviews on Amazon.
which is significantly cheaper but seems identical to the other offering.

Any comparative reviews between the top two, and general views on the third one?

Thanks

Dave R

Reply to
David

I went looking for a way to use the GPS in the Android phone with the Windows laptop.

does this for a Windows based PDA (remember those?).

I've found plenty of questions, but no answers.

It seems to be a no-brainer to use the GPS built into a phone to output location data via serial or BlueTooth to a PC. I assume that there are technical constraints, however, as I can't find an Android based solution.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Something like GPStether in play store?

No idea if it works, there are quite a few alternatives listed if you search for bluenmea but that one has gone AFAICS.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks.

That just seems to link an Android phone to a non-GPS Android or iOS tablet.

I need a client which will run on a (preferably Windows) PC.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David
[...]

Do you really need a 4.5 m long antenna cable?

Astonished

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

? No idea what the point of this message is ?

Reply to
David

[...]

AFAICS the only difference between type 8002U (my recommendation) and type 8012U (your 2nd contender) is the antenna cable's length: 1.5 m vs. 4.5 m. I was wondering ...

Regards

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

The one I posted was the one which came up as available in the UK.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

David schrieb:

[...]

Have you considered to buy from Amazon Germany? Still duty-free ...

Regards

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner