USB GPS receiver for laptop/PC - X-post

Any recommendations for a good GPS receiver to connect to a laptop?
Back in the day I had a serial cable for my old Etrex but I don't currently have a serial port, and I suspect that a USB receiver would be cheaper (and much more effective) than sourcing a USB/serial cable for a serial eTrex.
A quick look suggests that there are some at £10-£15 and others £30+ but I have no idea how good these are and how well supported they are by mapping software.
One use would be to update Open Street Maps
Cheers
Dave R

David has brought this to us :

You can buy serial to USB adaptors.
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 14:16:26 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

However my eTrex will not support the latest alternatives to GPS such as GLONASS nor have the latest and fastest chipset.
I should perhaps have asked which GPS chipset is the one to look for.
Cheers
Dave R

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I use these with aftermarket car ECUs - like MegaSquirt. Do note not all are identical. Some chip sets seem better than others.
--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

David schrieb:

Hi Dave,
I recommend Navilock NL-8002U though it is a little bit pricey:
<https://www.navilock.de/produkt/62523/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en
It can receive (AFAIK) all existent GNS-Systems; there is a programm with which you can configure it according to your needs.
HTH
Reinhard
Reinhard Zwirner schrieb:
[...] Addendum: I'm not and in no aspect affiliated with Navilock ...!
Regards
Reinhard
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 21:12:31 +0200, Reinhard Zwirner wrote:

Thanks.
In effect a vote for the ublox-8 chipset.
I am assuming that the most significant factor in these devices is the chosen chipset.
Cheers
Dave R

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 21:06:46 +0200, Reinhard Zwirner wrote:

So, possibly three contenders so far which seem to be able to access the latest satellites.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) B077YX9C1P> with Mediatek MT3333 chip.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) B00R998MJQ/> with ublox-8 UBX-M8030-KT chipset.
Or possibly only two.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) B00I4Z1SQS> with SiRF IV chip. I am not sure that this one can receive GLANOSS signals, though. Also, not good reviews on Amazon. <(Amazon.com product link shortened) B005OJUKAW/> which is significantly cheaper but seems identical to the other offering.
Any comparative reviews between the top two, and general views on the third one?
Thanks
Dave R

David schrieb:

[...]

[...]

Do you really need a 4.5 m long antenna cable?
Astonished
Reinhard
On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 22:58:41 +0200, Reinhard Zwirner wrote:

dp/

? No idea what the point of this message is ?

David schrieb:

[...]

AFAICS the only difference between type 8002U (my recommendation) and type 8012U (your 2nd contender) is the antenna cable's length: 1.5 m vs. 4.5 m. I was wondering ...
Regards
Reinhard
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 10:05:52 +0200, Reinhard Zwirner wrote:

The one I posted was the one which came up as available in the UK.
Cheers
Dave R

David schrieb:
[...]

Have you considered to buy from Amazon Germany? Still duty-free ...
Regards
Reinhard
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 13:08:23 +0000, David wrote:

I went looking for a way to use the GPS in the Android phone with the Windows laptop.
<http://www.paludour.net/GPS2Blue.html does this for a Windows based PDA (remember those?).
I've found plenty of questions, but no answers.
It seems to be a no-brainer to use the GPS built into a phone to output location data via serial or BlueTooth to a PC. I assume that there are technical constraints, however, as I can't find an Android based solution.
Cheers
Dave R

On 13/08/2019 13:22, David wrote:

Something like GPStether in play store?
No idea if it works, there are quite a few alternatives listed if you search for bluenmea but that one has gone AFAICS.
On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 17:07:23 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Thanks.
That just seems to link an Android phone to a non-GPS Android or iOS tablet.
I need a client which will run on a (preferably Windows) PC.
Cheers
Dave R