upvc windows

I need to clean my white upvc window frames to get rid of the accumulated grime. I bought some stuff (Thomson's) which is to be wiped on and polished off with a dry cloth. Since I live in a Victorian terrace with windows back and front on two floors, it will take forever and up a ladder! Would washing up liquid diluted in water do the job well enough, or Flash or what? Any experiences?

Reply to
Jim Scott

I find a power washer used to wash the car very effective. They go a hell of a long way, stick some detergent in the bottle and away you go. If you're lucky it will even clean the windows.

Reply to
Rob

Cleaning PVC-u Frames Never use anything abrasive, this will scratch the surface which will trap the dirt. Wash the frames with a mild solution of washing-up liquid. If any stubborn marks remain, lightly rub with the Jif crème cleaner. DO NOT use Jif on every occasion, as this will remove the shine from the PVC-U.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 00:04:42 +0100, Jim Scott had this to say:

Surely you'd still need a ladder, even if you use WUL solution?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

:o) It was more about the length time spent up there rather than the ladder itself.

Reply to
Jim Scott

I just wash the frame with washing up liquid solution at the same time as the glass. At some 5 years old and south facing they're still like near new.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

for washing cars and caravans. They work well and are cheap enough to try. They also mean no ladder work. You may get wet though.

John

Reply to
John

Serves you right for putting plastic windows in a Victorian terrace.

If you have a window cleaner, can't/won't he do the frames as well?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Interesting. I'd class Jif (Cif these days...) as an abrasive cleaner.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depends what you can afford. I think I was last in the street to change :o?

Yes he will but got in a bit of a 'debate' with his sidekick over whether to use Fairy Liquid or some 'special stuff'.

Reply to
Jim Scott