Ariston washer-dryer -- how to use

I just bought an Ariston combo washer-dryer (model AWD121WH in the U.S.) and I find the manual decidedly un-enlightening. There's a reasonable amount of information about what each button does, but no real direction on say, how to do a simple load of laundry. Last night we tried the first load, and it seemed to still be rinsing or something after four hours, which seemed excessive.

Is there anyone out there using one of these machines day-to-day who could tell me what buttons/settings/turnings/clickings they do to run their laundry? I'm looking for something like this: [This is only a template, not an actual set of instructions!]

1) Put sorted laundry in the basket and close the door. 2) Put measured detergent liquid into cup number 2. 3) Make sure none of the buttons (extra rinse, low speed etc) are pushed in. 4) Turn the selector knob to program # 3. 5) Push the knob in. 6) Press the on/off button; this or that light will come on. 7) Your laundry should be done in about three hours, give or take.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure out how to work this marvelous gizmo!

[crossposted to: uk.d-i-y, misc.consumers.house, alt.home.repair]

Jacque

Reply to
Jacque

You could also try posting this question in the washing machine section at

. Regarding "it seemed to still be rinsing or something after four hours, which seemed excessive", I am not familiar with the Ariston but I am not aware of any programme that would last that long - your machine may be faulty.

Reply to
Codswallop

Are you sure it doesn't have a "rinse hold" function where it holds the last rinse water in the drum until you press a button to take it onto final spin? The idea being the clothes don't lie in the drum damp for hours and get creased.

Also combi washer-dryers also only dry half a load of clothes. You can't do a full load wash-dry in one programme.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

An update: I spoke with an expert from the shop where I purchased the unit. [I posted here because he was out that day . . . and the hamper is filling up . . . ] When I described the symptoms to him, he said "that sounds like 'suds lock'" and asked me what kind of detergent I used.

The owners manual does recommend using low-sudsing detergent. Since I didin't have any, I had used a small quantity of traditional liquid. Using a small quantity, the expert tells me, is not a replacement for the low-sudsing (also branded as "high efficiency") powder (not liquid!). The traditional liquid can get caught or built up in the drum. The washer was trying to get rid of excess suds by pulling in a little water, splashing the clothes around in it, then emptying that water. Assuming this is the correct diagnosis, it might have gone on for a while.

The remedy? Run a short program with no clothes, just a cup of white vinegar, to clean out any residual from the first attempt. (No dry cycle needed, of course.) Use high-efficiency powder in the future.

I ran the vinegar through last night and went out to buy some Tide HE powder. This morning, I courageously put in a small load of light colors and a minimal dose of washing powder. I set a nine hour delay and the short program for cottons. If all goes well, I'll arrive home tonight to a clean and dry load of laundry.

Would still love to hear from anyone with their experiences, especially a good step-by-step. If Ariston can't get the manual entirely complete, at least we can all share our experiences.

Thanks all!

Jacque

Reply to
Jacque

Where are you? (mch and ahr suggest the US)

AFAIK all machine detergents sold in the UK are "low suds" and have been for years... we don't use those old-fashioned open-top twintub style washers any more.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yep, US. Where everything's bigger: SUVs, egos, military ambitions, suds, washers (my lord, the newest models are HUGE! They sit on these high pedestals and look like ... like ... I don't know, they're just HUGE! I'm talking about washers--but it could apply to egos of our politicians/military leaders, too). But I digress.

Low sudsing detergent has got me on track. I've been able to wash two loads with mostly success. Yesterday evening came home to a load of laundry that had just finished drying, very nice indeed!

Still figuring out the delayed start thing, and what the various variants of buttons do. Tried to start a load this morning that would finish up this evening, much like yesterday. After I thought I had set the delay time, I set the wash program . . . and it started right up. It'll be clean tonight. A bit wrinkled, perhaps, but clean.

Jacque

Reply to
Jacque

I haven't got your model but a German designed one with delayed timer. The control are to my mind counter-intuitive as one has to set the wash required ... temperature, intensity (harsh, delicate, hand ... ) then spin requirements .... then press the 'start' button -which is back up towards the top of the panel. If a delayed start is required then 'Delay' button has to be pressed and the desired-hours-delay incremented by repeat pressings ... then ... the 'Start' button needs to be pressed. This 'set delay' ... then press 'start'; is a feature common to the, different manufacturers, washing-machine, dishwasher and tumble-dryer.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I've stopped the cross-posting on this thread, as it now seems excessive. My frustrations continue, and any who wish to follow the thread can look at it on misc.consumers.house .

Thanks Jacque

Reply to
Jacque