upvc windows

Probably already suspect I know the answer to this...

We have a 25 year old house ... secondary double glazed to most rooms... generally... somewhat surprisingly ... frames are still in reasonably good condition ... though desperate for repainting.... Secondary glazing was put in by previous owners ... Everest... good quality...

However, rather than repaint all (or get them done as I haven't time myself...)... we're getting seduced by the upc windows... clean look, heat/sound insulation without fiddling with secondary glazing... etc...

Is the consensus of the group to stick with the originals until they're good & rotten (get them painted - any idea of costs for 4 bed detached in NW?) ... or is modern upvc the way to go (@ about =A34k?).

thanks AJ

Reply to
nospammer999

We have a 25 year old house ... secondary double glazed to most rooms... generally... somewhat surprisingly ... frames are still in reasonably good condition ... though desperate for repainting.... Secondary glazing was put in by previous owners ... Everest... good quality...

However, rather than repaint all (or get them done as I haven't time myself...)... we're getting seduced by the upc windows... clean look, heat/sound insulation without fiddling with secondary glazing... etc...

Is the consensus of the group to stick with the originals until they're good & rotten (get them painted - any idea of costs for 4 bed detached in NW?) ... or is modern upvc the way to go (@ about £4k?).

thanks AJ

I wouldn't be paid to have upvc dg.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

same here, im in the process of removing all 10 upvc windows the previous owner put in 3 years ago (cost him £6 grand) to replace them with wooden traditional style ones. they look so much nicer and give a building style and character. im presently priming, undercoating and glossing them in a lovely green colour. im using high quality paint that will last 8 years. in 8 years time, I will give them another coat. in 8 years time, I will give them another coat. in 8 years time, I will give them another coat.

if you have upvc, you will have to replace most units as they will mist up over time (anything from 0 to 20 years, the bigger panes, the most likely they will fail soonest) plus the frames will yellow and you will be wishing you'd stuck with wood in 20 years time.

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

First ask yourself why the secondary glazing was put in there in the first place.

Are you within 200 yards, or so, of a road that has been introduced, up-graded, modified in any way, or some such other such thing that would induce the authorities in paying for this secondary glazing?

I had a motorway built round the back of our house and we were offered secondary glazing. This was at the same time that I was introducing double glazing. The compensation for the noise, house price drop and other things was such, that I decided to let it pay for double glazing.

House is quiet, but step outside of the back door and you can't talk to anyone more than 15 feet away.

I spoke to our MP, who wrote to the highways agency, who basically told a pile of lies about the landscaping and said stuff you, you will have to wait a long time before we tarmac with the quiet stuff, as the road surface is in fine condition.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Presuming your windows are softwood, for your painting 'cycle' to work to your expectations you will need the following:

1 A good grade of knot and shake free softwood for the windows. 2 The timber to have been pressure treated with a clear preservative such as Vac-Vac. 3 Any knots and resinous areas treated with 'knotting'. 4 A good quality, oil based primer (aluminium wood primer under some circumstances) 5 Two coats of a good quality, oil based undercoat. 6 One coat of a good quality, UV resistant gloss paint. (Two would be better). 7 The re-coat cycle to be every five years rather than eight - shorter if near the coast or extreme weather area.

With regards to the above. That will generally apply to the low-grade units - just the same as timber really.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Plastic windows, doors, and reconstituted wooddust/glue flooring. Blockpaving driveways, Shellsuits and trainers,

-
Reply to
Mark

There will be a difference between 'getting them painted' and 'getting them painted properly'. As to whether you should replace with upvc windows, that depends on if you like them, and if you think it fits in with the 'character' of your home. We don't live in a noisy area, but I'm very pleased with the 15+ year old upvc windows that we have. Some (two) did mist up, but they are easily replaced. I don't think you'll get a group concensus, but I vote for upvc.

Reply to
Grumps

LOL!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I should have said that Spouse replaced our 60 year old neglected [by us :-( ] with wooden frames into which he fitted factory made-to-measure double glazed panes.

That's the best of both world, in our opinion. It looks good because you can choose your own finish, doesn't restrict light by wide frames, you have the level of glazing you want and it's far cheaper than upvc.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

An alternative we have had fitted which satisfied most of the requirements (except cheapness) are upvc coated aluminium units. They have narrow frames, the same size as the wooden ones they replace (from 25m the house looks no different (assuming the frame were white to start with, which they were!), they are quiet and maintenance free. Not everyone's ideal solution but at least it gets you away from the appalling thick frames of upvc only units

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

If sound insulation is a priority, stick with the secondary glazing. It is a great deal more effective than normal double glazing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

snip

Any good suppliers Bob?

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Yes. I fitted a Screwfix UPVC window and patio doors in the kitchen of my victorian house. Wasn't worried about altering the outside appearance at the back but wanted maximum light and convenience, and the original or period style windows just wouldn't be big enough. I originally did this conversion with wood frames and they started rotting within 10 years - something to do with the window being flush with the outside wall rather than recessed, as traditional sash types are.

I'm delighted with them. They clean up like new with soap and water despite being south facing. And don't jam in the winter. I'd not have them in other rooms, however, as they'd spoil the looks both inside and out. But few want a traditional victorian kitchen. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately (for you, possibly!) we used a local company, 3-D Aluminium-Plas in Eynsham, near Oxford. Good-ish, the windows are OK and we have had them back to do a second lot in the extension - they did leave the odd mark the first time and there was some snagging on the French doors we had to get them back for but pleased over all.

The builder quoted for upvc coated aluminium as well from his "window bloke", about whom we had heard bad reports. The prices were about the same as it turned out.

I believe I may have some pictures is required.

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Sounds like an advocate of "more time than common sense". With wooden windows, every time that you redecorate a room, you have the chore of painting windows. IME they warp, are impossible to fully draughtproof, rot, and require you to climb a ladder to repaint externally every 5 years. My experience of 20+ year old pvc windows is that they have not misted, have not discoloured, do not require maintenance other than an occasional spot of oil on the hinges and give much bigger glass to frame ratios, if you specify the style correctly. They are totally maintenance free and I can spend my spare time doing something important, like carrying her handbag!!

To me, a victorian house with wooden window frames is a no-no. Immediately devalue by £20K for the hassle of putting in draught proof maintenance free fittings.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

If you're redecorating don't you want to change the colour scheme?

Not in mine.

Not in mine.

Not in mine,

And looking at the horrid windows.

Perhaps you don't careabout aesthetics...

Oh come on!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

To plagarise Winston Churchill: yes, but the upvc will still be ugly in the morning.

Reply to
Matt

Not in my view, when compared with old, peeling, rotting, draughty wooden windows!!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Sorry, missed a chance!

Yes, but he was drunk when he said it!!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Yebbut, drunk or not she was ugly, and plastic windows are crap

Reply to
jacob