uPVC window queries

All,

I am looking to renew my windows and having going to a few local window suppliers have come across a couple of problems which don't seem to have an easy solution.

  1. window locks. We are looking to have windows which open to the side rather than having any skylight openers. My worry is that during the summer months, when we will want to go to sleep with the bedroom windows open, this creates a bit of a security issue. At least with skylights they are too small for someone to crawl through. Speaking with the window companies, it appears that you can only get locks which enable the window to be open about 10mm which is not very good on a hot night and even these they say aren't very secure!!

  1. frame welds Looking at the corner welds of the frame and openers, for some reason, half the weld seems to be recessed into the frame (i.e. it appears as a slight groove) and the other half is raised above the frame. From memory, I think it was only the outside of the joint for some reason - the inside being a groove all along. When questioned, the companies said it is the way the machine welds them and all uPVC windows are the same. I don't know which company made my existing ones but they all have the groove all along with no raised bits.

Has anyone come across any of these issues before??

Any help gratefully appreciated.

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

Unless your bedroom is ground floor I wouldn't worry about it. If it is, that design may not be suitable

I think the grooved mitre is standard, as they say. Why is it a problem?

Reply to
stuart noble

The only secure window is a completely closed one (and some may question how secure that is)

Atempting to secure a partly opened window is asking for trouble

If you want and open side winow and security fit an internal security grille such as

TMC

Bloody hell. Who wants to live like that?

Reply to
stuart noble

I have just had two bedroom DG fire safety type windows installed,they both have an open window at the top and the bottom window opens to about 5" and stops, to have it fully open two catches at the sides of the inner frame have to be depressed for it to fully open in case of it being an exit point if fire was to break out on the ground floor.

George

>>> Bloody hell. Who wants to live like that?

Someone that's paranoid.

Reply to
dennis

Thats a helluva lot of spanish or is it portugal? paranoid residents. ;-)

Reply to
George

Drug dealers. :-)

Reply to
George

My mate's house in Spain is like that - all the estate is. And they're not all holiday homes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a long tradition in Spain, possibly dating from the days when the unemployment rate exceeded 20%, prior to Spain joining the EU.

Reply to
Bruce

It's probably a tradition that goes back to when the Brits moved in

Reply to
stuart noble

Don't think that made much difference. Had three break ins over the last two years - despite having a so called security patrol.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, that would have been about the same time . ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

As you say, I think the groove mitre is standard but these ones seem to have the mitre raised half way along its length. No real problem other than it doesn't look too nice - for those whop are picky like me I guess...

Reply to
leenowell

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link to their website?

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell