uPVC window: handle stuck fast

One of my UPVC windows is stuck fast. The handle refuses to turn anti-clockwise to release the fastening mechanism.

AFAIK, the handle and its integral lock works OK. I removed it by unscrewing the 2 screws at either side of it and slid out the spindle mechanism. The handle mechanisms seem to operate OK.

So, to unfasten the window, I need a tool or driver to rotate the spindle socket anti-clockwise, thereby releasing the fastening bolts down the side of the window (I hope!).

I haven't anything suitable in my tool-box. Any suggestions?

bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

What size and cross-sectional shape is the spindle?

If the handle is working ok, but its spindle fails to turn the socket, why should anything else be able to turn it? Or is it just a case of providing more leverage because it's stiff - in which case couldn't you clamp something onto the handle to achieve this?

Reply to
Set Square

should anything else be able to turn it? Or is it just a case of providing more leverage because it's stiff - in which case couldn't you clamp something onto the handle to achieve this? <

Yes, I suppose you are right on this. The spindle fails to turn the socket. I was hoping something else might. If the socket won't turn, how do I release the locking mechanism?

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

In article , bruce snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com writes

can you get a mole grip onto it?

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

In that case, an Allen key wouldn't be much use anyway, 'cos that's hexagonal.

When was it last opened? Is it top hinged, or side hinged? If the latter, the frame may have settled slightly and jammed on the locking mechanism - particularly in the current hot weather. If you can insert a lever between the bottom of the window and the frame, on the opposite side to the hinge, and gently lever the window upwards, you may find that you can then turn the handle ok. If top hinged, try levering the bottom of the window sideways a bit - you will have to try both directions to see which is better.

Reply to
Set Square

Its a top-hinged small casement window. Similar windows in the house have their locking on the sides of the window. It was like this when I bought the house 6 months ago. Permanently closed. Now we have a mini-heatwave!

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Wait until about 11pm when it's a lot cooler outside and see if it will operate normally. We have two large upvc patio doors that expand and either won't open or shut ( depends when we opened them ) as they're south facing and get cooked. If we need to go out then hosing them down usually is enough to shut them.

Reply to
Pete Cross

Just a stupid question. Is the handle lockable? ie does it need a key to free it up?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol