UPVC single-casement window: changing it from right-hung to left-hung?

Hello all,

I've acquired a side-hung UPVC single-casement window that is exactly the r ight design and size that I need, except that I'd prefer it if the opening part were left-hung rather than right-hung. Is there an easy way to achieve this?

There are a couple of drain holes in the frame at the current 'bottom'. I c ould easily block those up and drill new ones at the other end, and then si mply invert the window. However, the handle would be upside-down.

I wondered about unscrewing the handle and then invert that too, but I'm no t sure if that would work, because currently, the handle needs to be turned clockwise to lock the window. I presume that reversing the handle would no t change this, and thus wouldn't work. Can the direction of rotation be eas ily changed (I've never explored the inner workings of these standard locki ng strip mechanisms.

Also, I need to install a new sealed glazing unit into the window. I've nev er done this before. Should the interior rubber seal be installed first or last? (i.e., before or after the exterior UPVC clip-strips have been tapped into place?

Thank you very much for any help!

JD

Reply to
wasaol

right design and size that I need, except that I'd prefer it if the openin g part were left-hung rather than right-hung. Is there an easy way to achie ve this?

could easily block those up and drill new ones at the other end, and then simply invert the window. However, the handle would be upside-down.

not sure if that would work, because currently, the handle needs to be turn ed clockwise to lock the window. I presume that reversing the handle would not change this, and thus wouldn't work. Can the direction of rotation be e asily changed (I've never explored the inner workings of these standard loc king strip mechanisms.

ever done this before. Should the interior rubber seal be installed first o r last? (i.e., before or after the exterior UPVC clip-strips have been tapp ed into place?

PS Okay, I have figured out how tp invert the whole window, simply by invertin g the handle and then changing the position of the catches screwed to the f rame.

I'm still wondering about my other question though: When installing the gla zed unit, does one install the interior rubber seal first, and then the UPV C clip-strips, or vice-versa? When I removed the unit, I pulled the rubber seal out first, to make the UPVC clip-strips easy to remove, but should rea ssembly be done in the reverse order, or the same order?

TIA

JD

Reply to
wasaol

I suspect it wont be possible to replace the strips with the seals in situ. That's the reason they're removable. By all means try but that's how the installers did some of our many years ago.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The rubber strips are put in second with the aid of a small piece of wood and a rubber mallet if necessary. Wipe the rubber over with washing up liquid first as a lubricant.

Reply to
Capitol

Punch's advice to newlyweds?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[...]

Thanks, Capitol. I wasn't sure because the only (British) youtube video I c ould find demonstrating it, shows a guy removing and replacing the glazed u nit without removing+replacing the interior rubber seals:

Cheers, JD

Reply to
wasaol