uPVC window jammed locked

One of my UPVC windows is stuck fast. The handle can be turned anti-clockwise to release the fastening mechanism on the right side of the window, but the left side remains locked. It is a top hanging window, and the lock is at the bottom.

I removed the handle by unscrewing the 2 screws at either side of it and slid out the spindle mechanism. The handle mechanism operates OK. I suspect the left bolt that is actionned by the spindle and locks the left side doesn't move when the handle is turned.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Reply to
sp1325sp at yahoo dott co dott

deglaze the window first,open the window mechanism, wedge open the right side as far as it will go,then crow bar the left until it gives.

Alex.

it may work without damage ,it has worked ok on the last five windows I have had to open.

Reply to
Alex

Thats fine assuming the peg or pin that locks the window shut on the LHS is actually moving when the mechanisium is operated. It might be tricky checking that the rods etc are still connected through the small holes that the handle uses.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks to you both.

I am pretty sure the rod of the left side is not moving at all when I turn the handle. When I turn it, I can easily feel the slight vibration and hear the rod moving on the right. Nothing coming from the left.

Is it still your opinion that I should go with Alex's advice? (not that I seem to have much choice anyway...)

Steve

Reply to
sp1325sp at yahoo dott co dott

Jemmying the frame with the pin/peg still in the frames locking plate is just going to nagger the frame.

My intial thought was that the window is slightly out of true and that there is pressure on the on/peg stopping it from withdrawing. You might be able to push/pull the opener enough to release the pressure and thus the peg/pin as you operate the mechanisium. But if the operating rod has parted at one or other end you have a proplem if it's at the handle end you might be able to fiddle about grab hold of the end and pull. At the pin/peg end I think you are stuffed. Warranty?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

With the sealed unit out can you open up a hole in the frame above where the left bolt is situated, just enough to get a pair of long nosed pliers in, and pull the bolt along and free of the catch? A small drill bit will make rows of stitch holes in the upvc and should allow you to make a hole. Hopefully there is only upvc at that point and no metal reinforcing. Or, if you know which firm installed the windows can you ask their advice?

Reply to
Kate's bush