uPVC Window Will not open

My bathroom window (side hinged) is shut tight.

When I raise the handle all but the bottom seems free.

From similar windows in the house it seems that when the handle is turned to the locked position, a solid rod pushes up, another pushes down and a rectangular bolt moves horizontally.

I gather from this that the bottom rod will not lift.

Is there a non-destructive method of repairing this?

TIA

Reply to
pinnerite

coat hanger?

allen key/vice grips

There a re a few more youtube videos

Reply to
alan_m

This is the issue with UPVC windows in that when closed all the mechanism is out of sight so when things go wrong the default situation is the window remains closed and the mechanism hard to access.

We had a window mechanism where the gearbox detached from the front plate similar to the first video being only held in place by 4 small tenons that were piened over. Fortunately it was a top hung window so it did not fall into the extrusion after I removed the handle. What I found is if I left the handle in place but not screwed to the mechanism it allowed enough movement to get the gears engaged and the window to be opened.

If you suspect the same has happened to your mechanism don’t be tempted to remove the handle immediately but loosen off the holding screws and tilt the handle to try and engage the gears to open.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Thank you. Sadly nothing matched my situation. I've called a locksmith.

Reply to
pinnerite

I thought it would be destructive but I watched the engineer start to unscrew the handle mounting but got out of his way before he continued. Then my wife called me to say he'd got it open. He went outside to finish unscrewing the mechanism. He showed me where the rod had broken off from within. He couldn't replace it so reconnected everything except the bottom rod and angle bracket and put back. Not a mark. All done in less than half an hour. It now only has two locking points instead of three, unless I can find out where to buy a replacement rod.

I reckon he must have done what you suggested.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

All the modern uPVC windows and doors these days seem to have a unit that has 2 or 3 mushroom-shaped objects that are connected to a slider that goes up and down and engage with corresponding latches in the vertical jamb only.

Which company made your windows ?. Maybe it is time to consider replacing them.

Reply to
Andrew