uPVC window broken opening mechanism

uPVC window - can't open it. Removed the handle, to find that there is a square spindle - just like a door handle - that drives a metal part with a square hole that is visible inside the window. Trouble is that the part is clearly in at least two pieces. Central hole in the picture here -

What are my options - both for opening and closing the window in the short term and replacing the mechanism in the slightly longer term?

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Not an amazingly clear photo ...

Presumably you have other windows with identical handles/gearboxes/shootbolt/whatever mechanisms to the broken one?

Open one of those and look for identifying marks, then see what spares are available before you start getting medieval on removing the old one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

From experimentation with other windows

a) I can't find any useful marks or indeed screws for removing bits. So the chances of a repair seem slim unless random make happens to fit b) The slide mechanism is quite stiff - and seems to need to be started from the handle, which means picking it with an Allen key doesn't seem like it's going to work.

I think I'm stuffed. Oh well. I get to have a bash at fitting a window. One more use for the scaffold tower.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

It helps to zoom in

The square hole is no longer square. It looks as if the latch has possibly jammed (corroded) and when the square spindle has been turned it has rotated in the stationary square hole forcing it to split.

+1 It may be possible to turn the latch with a large flat blade screwdriver gently forced into the lower part of the remaining square hole. Perhaps a squirt of penetrating oil and left overnight may help free the latch up a bit. Alternatively try pushing on the window frame from the outside whist trying to turn the mechanism with a screwdriver which may stop it binding, if this was the original problem.

Could it be something like

Full URL

alan_m

If you have a 1/4 inch drive socket set the 1/4 drive or 1/4 inch extension bar may fit into what was once the square hole.

Long nose pliers with the outside of the jaws held against the flats of the square hole and the wedge end of a large flat blade screwdriver forced into the inside jaws of the pliers to keep then firmly in place. The screwdriver then acts as a long lever to turn the pliers.

Reply to
alan_m

Something similar happened to one of our windows. The gearbox was held on the outer strip by four short tenons that were piened over to rivet the two together. The mechanism was always stiff from use and repeated use eventually pulled the gearbox out of the strip causing the gears not to mesh.

I eventually got the window open by rotating the square shaft with a slight downward pressure ( the lock was on the bottom of a top hung window) to force the gears to mesh. I got a replacement from the original installers so no modifications required to get it to work but I took the opportunity to adjust and file away the causes of the stiffness.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

This YouTube video might help

Mike Clarke

De glaze vent then push top of vent outward and put scraper under the vent lift and push hopefully it should pop open

Reply to
Daz