the heating spiel post

Well, well strange how I don't qualify even though I live in a single walled terraced house which I own and get dla.

Oh well I'll stick with my storage heaters mysteriously installed for free by a previous government scheme which I did qualify or with my super thick loft insulation done at half price due to a government grant.

Do I detect and ever so slight amount of vested interest in that post? :-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Quite a few spelling mistakes. Probably A foreign con.

Reply to
harry

I presume you're referring to a recent spam posting that everyone else seems to have had the good sense to ignore and most likely, like me, killfiled its author in the hope that the spamming bastards aren't inventive enough to repeat the offence under another name.

I'm not sure what it is that impels you to respond in *any* way to these spam postings but regardless of the reason, it's simply a waste of time and effort on your part and in this particular, indirect response, totally pointless.

The spammers' activities here are akin to a "leaflet drop" where the only thing they'll be monitoring is the effect, if any, on their monthly sales figures. Responding in any way to these postings is akin to your shouting at your TV screen every time you catch sight of an advert trying to drum up business for whatever product or service is being mis-sold by the advertising scumbags who use every psychological trick in the book to con "The Product" into doing business with their clients, that is to say, a complete and utter waste of time and energy.

There might be some personal sense of relief at venting your feelings against the faceless ones in the privacy of your own home but in a Usenet thread, it only serves to annoy others already mildly annoyed to begin with by the need to add yet another spamming scumbag to their killfile.

The only audience you have means you're in essence, "Preaching to the choir". We might be in tune with your thoughts but we'd rather not have to put up with yet another sermon on the subject, thank you very much. :-)

I've lost count of the number of times I've then had to follow up by setting the "Ignore flag" on the resulting discussion threads titled with the prefix "Re:". To be fair, you're not the only offender in this, just the most prevalent "Pointless discussion thread follow up starter". Even if you could resist the urge to start or continue such threads, I'd still find myself obliged to set the "Ignore Thread flag" (just not quite so often is all).

All I ask is that the next time you feel motivated to respond to such blatant spam postings, is ask yourself this critical question, "Is there the slightest of chances that my response will ever be seen by this spamming bastard?" and only hit send if you honestly feel the answer is a big fat "Hell, YES!", otherwise resist the urge to respond (or delete your missive unsent) and add the author to your News client's killfile, put it out of your mind and get on with the rest of your life.

HTH & HAND :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Well (and politely) said!

I don't know why Brian feels compelled to respond to spammers and trolls and sincerely wish that he would just desist.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

As you didn't give any clue what you meant by "heating spiel post", and you got replies, making me curious, I had to read all recent posts, only to find that you must be referring to "Understanding ECO grants". Such obvious spam that anyone in their right mind would ignore.

Reply to
Dave W