Insulation "problems"??

Hi, I am going to ask here because I do not want truck with "sales calls".

I keep getting a call from some company or other ( can never hear the name) about loft insulation I have allegedly go in my roof that could be "irri tant".

I keep being asked questions (this is when I put the phone down)about how l ong my insulation has been in the loft, and whether I paid for it or whethe r it came as part of a scheme....

So what is this about? Trying to sell me more insulation or trying to rip o ut the existing insulation or what?

By the way, they have wrong information because I have loft insulation goin g back around 20 years ago topped up by hubby around five years back.

I applied for new insulation under a grant scheme a few years back but we d idnt take it because they wanted to fill the walls with cavity insulation a nd put a blanket of insulation across the roof and we would have lost our boarded out loft storage space- so hubby put in some extra insulation himse lf just around the outsides of the boarded area instead. Since they wanted to dictate what insulation and cavity wall insulation as well and it came a s a package, we didnt get the offer one.

Anyone had anything like this who can tell me what it is about? I am curiou s and the calls are a bit of a annoyance now. I really do not want to enga ge a person on a cold call on the phone. I dont like being questioned about my home and my finances by strangers on the phone.....I did ask " What are you trying to sell me?" and she said " Nothing".....which I cant believe.

Reply to
sweetheart

[...]

In days of yore, roof insulation was glass fibres, notoriously itchy. There is a theory afoot that this stuff is as bad as asbestos, (ie can caus e cancer).

uses-cancer.aspx Modern fibres (allegedly) are OK.

You need cavity wall insulation. And roof insulation. There are systems available to put floors on top of the roof insulation. (L ike little stilts).

Reply to
harry

Nothing to do with insulation, but it sounds as though you could do with blocking nuisance calls. Sign up with the telephone preference service:

Chris Hogg

Which will have virtually no effect.

BT8500 phone (or newer variants) with Truecall is what you want.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Hmm...we signed up many years ago, so long ago that I can't be certain it was with the TPS, and I can't remember the last time I had a nuisance call. Never, wouldn't be far wrong. Used to be with Virgin, now with BT, if that's relevant.

"Block up to 100% of nuisance calls". Sounds like a broadband speed advert!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

[...]

just a scam

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I would tend to disagree. Having done it myself, I found that it does block a reasonable proportion. Many of the remainder can also be sent scurrying at the mention of the TPS.

It s won't stop the international ones and some of the less scrupulous ones, but I found it worth doing (especially since its easy and costs nothing)

Reply to
John Rumm

Been registered for years but we receive one or two international calls every day in addition to calls purporting to be from UK numbers.

It's worth registering as it costs nothing but there does seem to be a lot of variation on how often some numbers are targeted by cold callers.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Or an answering machine set to a minimum of 3 rings.

Reply to
Capitol

It's when it boasts of blocking more than 100% you begin to wonder.

Reply to
Davey

Well they *may* be part of a legitimate scheme, ISTR that councils and electricity suppliers used to get brownie points for getting insulation installed. But they are UNDOUBTEDLY lying bastard scum, the type of people who made my mother's final years with Alzheimers' even more of a misery than they needed to be.

Reply to
newshound

Get a true call device and live in relative peace from dingbats trying to sell you rubbish. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We are ex-directory and registered with the TPS, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of nuisance calls we've had, ever. So something must work. Perhaps it's the stream of vile abuse I give each cold caller?

Reply to
Huge

+1
Reply to
dennis

+1

I purchased one around 6/9 months ago and not one nuisance call has come through or has gone to the answerphone. I recommend the latest versions of Truecall phones.

I just used the basic call blocking where International callers or number withheld are presented with the phone generated message and they have to press a hash key to get through to the phone or answer machine. Automatic diallers don't take any notice of the message and don't press the hash key at their end. Other cold callers usually hang up immediately on getting a pre recorded message.

Reply to
alan_m

Despite being with the TPS I was starting to get around 20 calls per week with the majority presenting number withheld or International. A large percentage were automated and when the answerphone cut in a message was recorded. Most were about PPI, having illegal gas boilers (it's illegal to have a boiler more than 10 years old) and claiming damages for accidents that I haven't had. Presumably all calls were on behalf of UK companies.

Reply to
alan_m

Dependent upon mood;

I will let them chat away about a product before saying I'm in a council house.

I will ask their name, and using their name, ask them to kindly remove me from the list, adding, I am in a council house.

And, if I want the caller to quickly terminate the call without a fuss, I tell them I'm in a council house.

However, this does not deter automated calls or, more importantly, Charlie from India who knows you have a problem with your Windows operating system.

Reply to
RayL12

I had a csll yesterday from someone with a very English name - but sounding as though he was from a long way away. I let him witter on and then he asked me how old I was, I told him and he said he'd take my name off the list and hung up. I wonder how many lists I'll get removed from.

Reply to
charles

Our best one was the guy who spent ages trying to sell my wife solar roof panels despite all her protestations that the council wouldn't allow it. Finally she managed to tell him we're thatched and listed... haven't been called again!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Thanks for the replies. I have been out and about in the garden but I have still managed to accrue another three of this same call ( the caller is Eng lish - or at least sounds it) . I am already on the TPS,uselessas it is.

I am just putting the phone down now.

I dont want additional insulation frankly as I am still battling the conden sation issues I have from double glazing. I certainly do not need to fill m y walls with nasty bits of something or other.I get the feeling the house n eeds to breathe.

I am concentrating this year on new soffits facias and gutterings - but can I get anyone decent to give me a quote? Asked three firms already and stil l waiting for quotes three weeks later. I wouldnt mind its a bungalow,not e ven a high ladder job. All I can get are Anglian and Everest trying to scam me with massive prices. No Thanks.

Anyway, sorry about the rant. I will not be taking up offers of anyone re i nsulating my loft and walls any time soon. I am tired of unsolicited phone calls.

Reply to
sweetheart