Faulty Dishwasher

Hi All,

Our Bosch dishwasher, that has just been plumbed in after 2 years in storage, worked for 3-4 washes and now refuses to do anything. Pressing start just makes it give a gurgling/gasping noise but no fill and no cleaning activity (and it absolutely stinks). It's definitely got power and the water is definitely on. A couple of local appliance repair guys that SWMBO has spoken to have suggested that the 're-circulator' has gone and this is very likely to be unrepairable. Before getting my wallet out and purchasing a new machine, from the symptoms described does this sound plausible?

Cheers

Reply to
Endulini

Not knowing much about repairs or that model but I would go for a blockage of some kind. If some water was left in it has it all gone mouldy/gungy and blocked a pipe?

Reply to
ss

I wonder if the outlet pump is seized?

Reply to
Capitol

Could be, or perhaps more likely the main "swishing" pump. The former is normally similar a washing machine waste pump, but often more inaccessible in dishwashers. You may well be able to get at the impeller of the "swishing" pump by removing one or two of the plastic covers in the middle of the "floor" of the chamber. It *could* just be food or mechanical debris.

Or could it just be that the "fill" solenoid valve is not opening to let the water in? These are usually relatively cheap, standard parts. In the past I have kept ancient washing machines going by "bodging" in a valve from a completely different model.

Your repair guys might well be right that it is probably uneconomic to pay them for a repair, but could be worth doing yourself even if you only get another year or two out of it.

Reply to
newshound

If it's a Bosch, the Aqua-Stop system in the hose may have stuck.

Reply to
Bob Eager

that'll be the emptying pump

there's the problem. Bad fill solenoid or controller, or wiring between the 2. You can check the diagnosis by stopping at this point, hand filling and continuing the cycle. If this diagnosis is correct it will then do a wash cycle. You may want to use vinegar & a tiny bit of washing up liquid first time instead of a detergent tablet to help clean it out.

I doubt it. But we don't know for sure with limited info.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On 10/08/2016 00:21, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: .. snipped

... snipped

The "tiny bit" is worth emphasising. Many years ago my kids helpfully started the dishwasher and used either soap powder or washing-up liquid ... the amount of foam produced was rather surprising. It eventually caused the dishwasher to shutdown but it was OK a couple of days later.

Reply to
nospam

There are a lot of repair videos on Bosch and other dishwashers on You Tube such as

Peter Parry

Or the the float switch (part of the Bosch aqua-stop system) in the base tub is stuck which will cut off the water supply as mentioned at:

Google for how to repair this. If you cannot find anything I would be inclined to try back flushing water through the outlet to try to free it.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Has it been stored on its side or upside down. I've come acros bits falling off inside at this treatement. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You could try tilting the machine forward and shaking it. This sometimes works.

Reply to
Chud

I'd suggest finding the exact model video or a decent manual/written guide, and making sure that key parts are still available. Bitter experience here ;-)

Reply to
RJH