UPVC Window Terminology ???

Can anybody tell me what the correct terminology is for the bits and pieces that make up a UPVC window.
I have a bay window, would the terminology be something like
A frame and cill with
1 off large lower fixed casement window, 1 off lower side fixed casement window and 1 off lower side hinged casement window
with a transom going all the way across with
1 off large upper fixed casement window, 1 off upper side fixed casement window and 1 off upper top hinged casement window

A casement is a hinged opener, so there is technically no such thing as a fixed casement, although it would be widely understood. The correct name is fixed light.
I would describe your setup something like:
Bay window. Left panel, single horizontal bar fixed lights. Centre panel, single horizontal bar fixed lights. Right panel, single horizontal bar, upper top hung casement, lower side hinged casement
Most importantly, I would draw a sketch, using triangles correctly to indicate the hinge positions. You should also state your preference for horizontal bars as being spacers or full bars.
Finally, besides the fact that I wouldn't consider uPVC in any case, the window you appear to have specified will look odd, being non-symetrical and, depending on the sizes of the side panels may provide inferior rapid ventilation and fire egress. You should consider openers in the main panel. Note that opening windows will look considerably different to fixed lights.
Given the spec, I would hazard a guess that it might be a Victorian or Edwardian residence (I may be wrong). If so, consider reinstating the original sash windows. The cheapest we have found for supply only is "box sash willys". http://www.box-sash.co.uk /
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

And if that guess is right, repairing wood windows by replacing sections of wood is usually cheaper than putting upvc in
And realise that upvc sometimes reduces resale value of old houses, since its so damn ugly.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

I'm in the process of doing this - I worked out that I can make the section fairly easily on a circular saw bench, with probably a fair bit of sanding.
I know it might sound strange, but
Would a hinged opener be held in a seperate frame (that houses the hinge fixings and catch mechanism), and that be fixed to the main frame ??
And then would a fixed window be held in a seperate frame, that is also fixed to the main frame ??

Am I the only one who reckons it's spelt "sill"?
--
Skipweasel
contains these words:

yec

No, and you're quite correct, it should be spelt "sill" Donwill

I thought so - I can't think where cill came from - it's not as if it needed to be differentiated from some other meaning of sill.
--
Skipweasel
Guy King wrote:

Its just the way the 'trade' does it. I hate it. But its most commonly spelt that way by architects and so on.
Gosh,. This American spell checker can't cope with 'spelt' either.
I couldn't believe it when listening to a very old episode of Cagney and Lacey to hear them say 'burglarize;' with a straight face. I assumed it was Noo Yawk slang, till I discovered its standard US usage..

Either spelling is acceptable - sill is more common and cill is more 'technical' (archaic?).

I've never found a dictionary which gives cill as OK.
--
Skipweasel
had this to say:

The Concise Oxford dick shunnery gives "cill" as "a variant spelling of SILL". That implies that "Sill" is the normative spelling.
--
Frank Erskine

==================Nothing to do with terminology but....................
One detail to consider very carefully is the position of the transom. UPVC sections are usually much wider than the wooden ones they replace and this reduces the glass area. If the transom is too high the glass in the upper lights can look ridiculously small. It's worth looking at windows in other houses and in the showrooms if possible to take measurements. It would also be worth doing a scale drawing of what you want to make sure it looks right.
Cic.