UPVC Window Terminology ???

Can anybody tell me what the correct terminology is for the bits and pieces that make up a UPVC window.

I have a bay window, would the terminology be something like

A frame and cill with

1 off large lower fixed casement window, 1 off lower side fixed casement window and 1 off lower side hinged casement window

with a transom going all the way across with

1 off large upper fixed casement window, 1 off upper side fixed casement window and 1 off upper top hinged casement window
Reply to
solar power

A casement is a hinged opener, so there is technically no such thing as a fixed casement, although it would be widely understood. The correct name is fixed light.

I would describe your setup something like:

Bay window. Left panel, single horizontal bar fixed lights. Centre panel, single horizontal bar fixed lights. Right panel, single horizontal bar, upper top hung casement, lower side hinged casement

Most importantly, I would draw a sketch, using triangles correctly to indicate the hinge positions. You should also state your preference for horizontal bars as being spacers or full bars.

Finally, besides the fact that I wouldn't consider uPVC in any case, the window you appear to have specified will look odd, being non-symetrical and, depending on the sizes of the side panels may provide inferior rapid ventilation and fire egress. You should consider openers in the main panel. Note that opening windows will look considerably different to fixed lights.

Given the spec, I would hazard a guess that it might be a Victorian or Edwardian residence (I may be wrong). If so, consider reinstating the original sash windows. The cheapest we have found for supply only is "box sash willys".

Christian McArdle

And if that guess is right, repairing wood windows by replacing sections of wood is usually cheaper than putting upvc in

And realise that upvc sometimes reduces resale value of old houses, since its so damn ugly.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm in the process of doing this - I worked out that I can make the section fairly easily on a circular saw bench, with probably a fair bit of sanding.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The message from solar power contains these words:

Am I the only one who reckons it's spelt "sill"?

Reply to
Guy King

I know it might sound strange, but

Would a hinged opener be held in a seperate frame (that houses the hinge fixings and catch mechanism), and that be fixed to the main frame ??

And then would a fixed window be held in a seperate frame, that is also fixed to the main frame ??

Reply to
solar power

=================== Nothing to do with terminology but....................

One detail to consider very carefully is the position of the transom. UPVC sections are usually much wider than the wooden ones they replace and this reduces the glass area. If the transom is too high the glass in the upper lights can look ridiculously small. It's worth looking at windows in other houses and in the showrooms if possible to take measurements. It would also be worth doing a scale drawing of what you want to make sure it looks right.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

yec

Reply to
me

No, and you're quite correct, it should be spelt "sill" Donwill

Reply to
Donwill

The message from "Donwill" contains these words:

I thought so - I can't think where cill came from - it's not as if it needed to be differentiated from some other meaning of sill.

Reply to
Guy King

Either spelling is acceptable - sill is more common and cill is more 'technical' (archaic?).

Reply to
Rob Morley

The message from Rob Morley contains these words:

I've never found a dictionary which gives cill as OK.

Reply to
Guy King

Its just the way the 'trade' does it. I hate it. But its most commonly spelt that way by architects and so on.

Gosh,. This American spell checker can't cope with 'spelt' either.

I couldn't believe it when listening to a very old episode of Cagney and Lacey to hear them say 'burglarize;' with a straight face. I assumed it was Noo Yawk slang, till I discovered its standard US usage..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:38:37 +0100, Guy King had this to say:

The Concise Oxford dick shunnery gives "cill" as "a variant spelling of SILL". That implies that "Sill" is the normative spelling.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The last time I looked it up in a dictionary, it was supposed to be spelt sill. However, it listed cill as an alternate spelling in use in the UK construction industry.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Normally, the openers have an additional frame and fixed lights do not. This means that openers look very different and you should bear this in mind when attempting to produce a symmetrical effect.

You could specify the fixed lights as effectively nailed shut casements. However, this would be almost as expensive as making them real openers. It would also seriously reduce the glazed area.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just pricing up windows from my manufacturer an opener adds about =A340 = to the price, a dummy =A320. This is on a roughly 6' x 4' window.

True, but the "look" of the window is much improved.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

cill (building) n. old variant of sill, now usual in the trade.

Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary

Reply to
Rob Morley

The message from Rob Morley contains these words:

I didn't say I'd looked hard.

Reply to
Guy King