UPVC Patio doors

OH is still wanting to fit patio doors ( 8ft ones). I would like those from a fitting firm.
Is OH right in saying that all the windows regardless of where they come from ( firm or Wicks or Screwfix etc) are exactly the same? I can see that Wicks and Screwfix are the same but what about fitting companies, do they use Wicks Patio doors too?
( I have a quote just less than 2K for a patio window and a French Door. Wicks would cost about half that if OH fitted but given reviews I am rather concerned, especially since he has not done it before).
On 09/09/2011 17:09, sweetheart wrote:

Well yes and no...
There are apparently only around five large makers of the plastic extrusions that the various companies then turn into windows and doors. So you usually get some variation based on a standardised set of components. Needless to say the quality of assembly can vary a bit, and the fitting (i.e. the metal bits) quality may vary.

Reviews of the window or of OH ? ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Reviews of the windows, Thanks. Most suggest quality and fitting instructions poor but given cost are " value for money"
I have my onw reviews on OH. he is likely to do it but never finihs off - he always does that. Bathroom is loely but still needs the replacing of a pice of skirting. Door likely to be same. He will fit them ( after three days of gaping holes) but he is unlikely to repair any damage to brickwork/ plaster etc that will break off as old one comes out ( it is burried in the wall by about 3/4 of an inch either side)
sweetheart <hotmail.com> wrote:

I have Screwfix sliding patio doors self installed. Must be well over 10 years old and are fine. I was lucky that a stock size suited me.
I'd say fitting them is really only for a pretty experienced DIYer. Lots of different skills needed to make a good job.
--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

    "sweetheart" <hotmail.com> writes:

No. Wickes, Screwfix, and all the installers use windows made from same set of profiles, made by a small number of companies (Eurocell is one such). I went to look around the factory where mine were made in 2002, which was on a local industrial estate. All the cutting drilling and welding was completely computer controlled. I imagine all such factories up and down the country churn out pretty similar products. There's some scope for variation on quality of locks, hinges, etc.
Don't know if patio doors are quite so identically manufacturered.

If you buy a ready-made one, it has to fit the opening (or you have to create an opening to fit it). If you go to a fabricator, they will make up any size - they have no concept of standard sizes.
--
Andrew Gabriel
sweetheart wrote:

First of all, stay away from national companies like SafeStyleUK - lots of horror stories can easily be found by googling. Two personal friends of mine used to fit double glazing/patio doors although they've now retired, but that's what you want to look for - a small company local to you who come recommended by someone. Or if you find a small company, ask them to put you in touch with previous customers so that you can see how satisfied they are with the job.
My mates used to deal with a company called Profile22 http://profile22.co.uk/homeowner/ They don't deal directly with the public but you can find out which DG companies they supply in your area and go from there.

- a small company local to you who come

This is a small local company and my dad has used them. He thought they were very good. Of all those he has had, he thought them the best and best priced.

"sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote in message

Most small companies don't make the frames themselves but use a local manufacturer. Find the manufacturer and have them make for you, to your exact size. Getting a good fit is pretty straight forward as long as you use all the plastic trim pieces the so called experts use.
I fitted one large window this way myself and the local manufacturer let me take a selection of trim and wedges on a sale or return basis. Not Patio doors but probably just as wide, and it took me one day to cut out the old and fit the new with a bit of help from STWNFI to position the frame.
Mike