Patio Doors

Hi, I'm planning on having a patio sliding glass door installed. Of the three manufacturers I checked, Andersen, Pella, and Marvin, Andersen was about $1000 less than the others. Before I make the decision that makes economic sense, are there any compelling reasons I should steer clear of Andersen and spend the extra money? Thanks.

Reply to
Arnold H. Hollander

For dual pane available at HD etc I found Pella was allot cheaper maybe

900 vs 1100 for the Anderson I went with. Pella have the screen on the inside , that will let in bugs when you open it to close the main door. Also Anderson condense less, at a higher humidity than my Pella. I am happy with the Anderson. Maybe you are looking at the higher end Pella that has triple track and in screen options. Anderson is quality, I just did not like the screen issue as I hate mosquitos .
Reply to
m Ransley

Check Lowes and Home Depot prices but also make sure quality is the same. Stay away from new Pella vinyl covered stuff. Stick with their aluminum clad or natural wood finish. Are you talking about french patio doors or sliding doors? I do not like the Andersen metal threshold on their French patio doors because they get easily dented.

Reply to
Art

When I bought my Pella, Home Depot has a lower grade that was available at the Pella dealer across the street. He would often send people over to look at them and they would go back to buy the better doors from the dealer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes their sliding doors and vinyl clad windows at Lowes are a cheaper Pella line but their entrance doors like the French Patio doors are identical quality with different glass design. I saved a grand at Lowes buying an entrance door versus the Pella store but I would not buy sliders or windows at Lowes.

Reply to
Art