UPVC locks

My girlfriend and i have good reasons to believe that her ex (joint home owner with her) is planning on changine the locks while she's away for a week which will prevent her from getting to her belongings. The house in question is my girlfriends *home* and her ex lives 200 miles away so its not like he needs to be in there any time he chooses (unlike my girlfriend who lives there). Solicitors have already been involved and have told them both that neither of them are allowed to prevent access to the other party but having been arrested under the mental health act a few weeks ago i dont think he'd take notice of anybody.

Being a mechanic i've had to drill out umpteen locks on various cars etc... and its always been relatively easy in a garage situation so what i'm wondering here is - am i likely to do more harm than good by trying to drill new locks in a upvc door ? is there a chance that it could end up costing more than a locksmiths callout charge ?

I know there's a very simple way of getting a door open in seconds but unfortunately i dont know it so *IF* anybody out here does know and wishes to share the information please email me about it :-)

Any help would be greatly appreciated by both myself and my girlfriend (a very sexy size 8 blonde ;-) )

TIA

Chris

Reply to
chris 159

Change them first

Reply to
cynic

forgot to mention - he's up here for two weeks exorcising his right as the house owner to live there and do alterations to the house so theres no chance of us getting there first

Reply to
chris 159

Breaking in to your OWN home is, IIRC, not a crime.

You can even get a policeman to stand there while you do it to 'prevent a breach of the peace'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I realise that but i'm just concerned about the cost. If drilling is going to be quite easily succesful i'll do that (if need be) but if i'm likley to FUBAR the lock enclosure it might be cheaper to get a locksmith out to pick his way in. I want to know the cheapest option should i need to do any of it

Chris

Reply to
chris 159

If he changes the locks and on leaving the house just pulls the door shut, and doesn't lock it with a key and the handle lifted upwards, and it has a letter box near the inside handle, it doesn't take much imagination to devise something that will go through the letter box and pull the inside handle down. It is impossible to compare the costs of a DIY break-in and DIY replacement of the locks with what a locksmith or double glazing window/door repair firm would charge for call-out, labour and parts - too many variables.

Reply to
Factor 13

Why doesn't she change them first?

Any pictures? - preferably undraped.

:-p

Reply to
Phil L

The message from "Phil L" contains these words:

I would imagine it's because she doesn't want to be the one who puts a foot wrong first. Very useful in this sort of situation to be the blameless party.

Reply to
Guy King

That is true in this case but also - we arent going to get the chance to for another week but by this time we suspect he would have already done it

Chris

Reply to
chris 159

She's anorexic and her ex is a lunatic. Best left alone I'd say

Reply to
Stuart Noble

ROFL

Reply to
Staffbull

Colin Wilson

scary that info is readily available.... I'm curious now though to see if it can be done

Reply to
Staffbull