Leaking radiator valve

Hi,

I am doing a lot of work in my extension and had to remove the radiator. I took the radiator off a couple of days ago quite easily although had a bit of trouble undoing the nut on the control valve side. After a bit of careful force I got the nut loose and took the radiator off.

Since then I have noticed a very minor leak from where the valve meets the pipe that comes up from underneath the floor. I tried tightening the valve just above the pipe but this seemed to do nothing. If fact it was turning but not tightening anything.

I plan on getting a plumber in to move the radiator pipes out from the wall (am putting thermo board in the wall) and re-fitting a new radiator. However, I am not planning on doing this for a month or two. Does anyone have any advice on how I can stop the leak permanently or even temporarily?

Any advice is much appreciated. Don't really want to get a plumber out twice or drain the system now to fix the issue and again when I need the plumber in a couple of months.

Cheers,

James

Reply to
JGralton

If it is coming from that compression fitting then it is either a less than perfect seal on the olive - tightening is likely to cure it. OR You have split the copper tubing at the base of this fitting - very easy to do if you don't brace with a stilson or similar when undoing fitting.

If the latter you will have to drain the system or catch the dribble and DO NOT disturb till the plumber comes. If the former properly brace the fitting and tighten further or you will get the latter!

Reply to
VisionSet

If this can't be tightened then a temporary fix would be to whip the valve off quickly and replace with a compression fitting end stop.

Reply to
Factor 13

I did try tightening the valve on the pipe but it turned once clockwise quite easily and didnt seem to get any tighter or looser.

Is there any tape or putty that can be applied as a tempoary fix?

Cheers,

James

Visi> >

Reply to