UPVC Doors

Can anyone direct me to a site reviewing UPVC doors. I am replacing an aging aluminium version and need help navigating the mine field of sales bull. There must be a difference in quality between B&Q (£351) and local installer (~£1k)!

I hope to find a quality product and then find someone to fit it. Apologies slightly OT if I don't do the fitting myself. Location is Hull - East Yorks

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The B+Q door does not include fitting. I assume the one from the local installer does. The average price in our area to have a good quality UPVC door fitted is £850

Reply to
robert

Strewth - so labour for fitting one front door runs well in to the 500+ GBP bracket? I'm in the wrong job...

Reply to
Lobster

In article , TheScullster writes

I can recommend a couple of places in Hull which have done some good work for me. No connection, just a happy customer.

One was Arc Windows, they created a back door for me for about 800 quid which included cutting the hole in the wall & making good. I think it would have been about 450 quid to replace an existing door.

There is also Amazon Windows who have the industrial unit next door to me.

The only problem is, being good, they both have quite a waiting list of jobs.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Don't forget to include the time for the 25 return visits because the plastic crap that was fitted doesn't shut properly and the beadings have started to peel off and the key doesn't turn, because the handle doesn't move far enough.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks Tim

Did you look into the construction of the doors they supply eg galvanised steel reinforced; laminate wood filled; number of locking points etc etc compared to other suppliers?

There seems to be a number of different "standards" for the construction of doors and windows. I don't mind paying more for quality durable merchandise. I do mind paying more simply because I'm being ripped off and don't fully understand what I'm buying or the pros and cons (if that makes sense).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In article , TheScullster writes

They (both) make the frames & doors themselves, you can specify the construction you need & they will explain what the various options are with regard to security etc.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Local installer prices of course include installation - and probably custom making rather than just a stock design. And their prices tend to be negotiable.

I bought and installed some Screwfix UPVC, and their quality appears the equal of any. Same company as B&Q, but don't know if they use the same supplier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Screwfix is owned by B & Q or is it the other way round !!

-- troubleinstore Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap Personal mail can be sent via website.

my auction items on eBay & eBid:-

troubleinstore

Both are owned by Kingfisher PLC

.andy