Noisy uPVC window cill

When it rains I hear an annoying drip drip from a windowcill. IT is made of a hollow plastic extrusion and the drips really make a loud noise that passes into the lounge.

I wondered about filling it with expanding foam - but:

Would the foam reach half way (from each end)?

Would it react badly with the uPVC?

Could it distort the uPVC as it expands?

Any ideas?

Reply to
JohnP

No but it won't work either. It is a function of the design, if it had been solid like wood, the sound would be less. I have also noticed that in modern Conservatories with polycarbonate box or hollow section roves the sound of rain is terrible compared to the old glass ones. glass is harder and heavier. It is the same with wood against plastic on window sills. Creaking guttering is another plastic related problem during sunny days as is creaking upvc doors and badly fitting locks when its hot as the plastic glass and metal all expand at different rates and warp the door. I guess you could screw some wood on top of the sills and shape it and paint it and the extra mass will probably make less noise but is the extra work worth the slight lack of annyingness. Often the sound is heard due to the sill being joined through the wall to part of the window inside and many window fitters use expanding foam to fill voids then render and plaster over it making a very poor joint rigidity wise. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

would certainly quieten it

if you use a long enough tube, sure

dont think so

oh, massively. I'd give it 96% odds of being a write-off.

Yeah. Use anything else. Gravel should do it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr