tick tick tick...

The refrigerator thread reminded me of an issue I've had for years with my central air ducting. This is what originally led me to wearing ear plugs at night because it kept me up all night. With the weather changing this is going to be a problem again.

The main trunk of the ducting system is in the attic. There are branches which come of at various places, then flexible ducts which eventually make it to the ceiling registers. The air return box opening is in the hallway outside our bedrooms.

The problem is there is a bunch of ticking noise coming from the registers when the forced hot air starts and when it stops. When the gas furnace blows hot air through the ducts it seems like the main trunk and branches must expand somewhat then contract when the forced hot air stops. I don't know if the ducts are rubbing against the wood they're setting on or if it's something else. I've tried isolating sections by placing foam pads between the ducting and whatever structural member they're on but that hasn't helped at all.

I've checked the gas furnace to ensure the igniter isn't constantly clicking but that's not it. The ticking starts out fast and eventually slows down and stops after ten minutes or so. It's quite annoying, especially at night when everything is quiet. I've gone in the attic and tried to identify the source of the sound during the day but the road outside my house drowns the noise and I can't hear it. It's only late at night when it seems so loud.

Any ideas?

Reply to
badgolferman

White noise generator next to the bed . Might be enough to mask the ticking . Are the ducts insulated ? If not try insulating them . Might help , might not . At least it should shorten the time of the clicking .

Reply to
Snag

“As for me, except for an occasional heart attack, I feel as young as I ever did.” - Robert Benchley

More of his words at

micky

We had that tick tick problem in our previous home. Isolated it to expansion/contraction of the ducts rubbing against the duct hangers in the unfinished basement. Solved with tedious removal of the hangers one by one and cutting strips of terry cloth from an old bath towel, and placing a strip between the inner surface of each hangar where it had been in contact with the outside wall of the duct. It also essentially eliminated the low frequency air flow vibrations from the ducts that used to be transferred to the beams where the hangers were attached and through all the walls. Never realized it made so much sound until it no longer was there.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt