UPVC Door locking

On mine the handle operates a vertical sliding bar in a metal channel the whole height of the door with a number of pegs on it that engage with slots in the frame. I had to remove the whole bar and clean out gummy stuff between the bar and thee channel it runs in so that the handle could easily move it through the whole range of movement. But in my case the first symptom was stiffness moving the handle even when the door was open. So it doesn't sound too much like your setup.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

On mine a roller peg was bottoming in a slot too soon and preventing the locking mechanism from travelling the full distance to allow the lock to turn. In my case I lifted the door slightly on its hinge adjustment. Job's a good one!

Reply to
JohnP

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:rsukgn$qsp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

~I wonder how many door mechanisms get ruined by people repeatedly forcing something to work? (instead of investigating at first sign)

Reply to
JohnP

I wonder how many people fully engage the locking mechanism every time they close the door (not necessarily locking it with a key)?

I was given the advise that it helps prevent warping and misalignment over time.

Reply to
alan_m

Dropping would be my suspicion. Over time the plastic (or whatever) wedges used to prvent the weight of the glass allowing the lock side of the door to dop may have compressed slightly.

A decent right angle trunnion or spirit level would confrim this and if so, it's time to remove the beading and carefully jack up the lock-side of the door and put some new spacers in place at the top of the glass on the lock-side of the door, because this is what is holding the entire door exactly square.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Door has dropped with age and needs adjusting. Some have adjustment built into the hinges others need the panels wedging.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike