Upright vacuum cleaner recommendation

Anyone able to recommend an upright vacuum cleaner with any confidence?

Cylinders have been ruled out by Management...

Sebo. Marvellous kit. Lasts for ages, easy to mend when it breaks, cleans well, John Lewis sell all the gubbins.

Reply to
Huge

Seconded without reservation.

Reply to
rbel

Thanks. Any particular model?

I was just about to 'third' this recommendation...

The X10 is the standard model, I think. There is a 'HEPA' versino with a be tter filter, and one with a longer cable and/or hose kit. Very pleased with our standard model after 13 years or so. Have just lent it out to a friend while I repair their Dyson! ;-P

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Your line "Cylinders have been ruled out by the management" suggests you would like one.

We have the Sebo Felix Pet. The Felix models are sold as an upright but very easily convert to a cylinder for the occasions when one of those is more practical, You do really need the optional hose extension though as the one that comes as standard is fairly short . Lot of pictures of the range on the SEBO website.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In message , F writes

I bought management here a Vax something or other that does the whirly dust collection. It came with a really long flex and really long pipes to do the stairs from the bottom. Management poked it under a piece of furniture, where it picked up a pair of tights (don't ask). Some time later she reported that it was broken and making a terrible smell. I inspected and found the melted tights and drive belt. I couldn't get a spare anywhere, so I followed the instructions and returned it to Vax. It came back as good as new, with no charge for carriage or anything.

Management now says it's too heavy.

Reply to
Bill

+1
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Something from the Sebo X range or Miele S7, I have used both. The Sebo is lighter and easier to manoeuvre, just a little less powerful then the Miele. Or you could get a commercial Sebo BS36 which will probably last you forever.

Reply to
gremlin_95

Reminds me of a couple I knew many years ago.

He bought her a full tea service, which she didn't like (it was rather revolting) so she managed to drop the whole lot whilst carrying on a tray - not one piece survived. (I rather suspect that might have required jumping on a few pieces afterwards.)

So he went out and came back with an identical replacement tea service...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have an X-1, but I don't know if they make them any more. They last for ages...

Reply to
Huge

X10 ...

Reply to
Huge

We've got a Miele cylinder which Management doesn't like, but which I do. She's looking for an additional cleaner 'for upstairs': I do downstairs, she does upstairs. Upstairs, Downstairs: I know my place!

After more than a bit of research following today's suggestions (thanks, all), the X4 Pet looks like it's in the frame. However, getting an understanding of the differences between the various models isn't exactly easy. Sebo's website is fairly opaque when it comes to side-by-side comparisons.

The Sebo BS36 is a thing of wondrous beauty....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cheap and cheerful, panasonic, ligh, v powerful, auto height, v good edge cleaning. Hoses a bit short tho. We're on our second. 1st gave 10 yrs good service. See Argos reviews at link £80

Simon Cee

I too like my Sebo but what I DON'T like is the way it falls over so easily when you use the hose.

Not that this is unique to Sebo, my Dyson nearly killed me when it fell down the stairs onto me but the Sebo somehow seems less stable than others.

Reply to
Murmansk