"Unsnibbible" lock?

I find the definitions here less useful than they might be. As far as I'm concerned, I'd expect a single cylinder to be just that, i.e. there is nothing at all showing on the other side of the door, and it can only be locked and unlocked from one side. I have one like that on my cellar, which would only be locked from outside. What they describe as a single cylinder is what I've seen described as a key and turn cylinder. The main definition is also a little misleading, possibly because the author is trying to keep things simple (they've omitted lever type deadlocks altogether); they refer to a latch using a spring to hold the bolt in place - while the simpler versions do this there are many which have an additional mechanism, so that while the spring is used to move the bolt, there is another mechanism which resists forcing when the bolt is in the keep. I'm not thinking here of the type where you can double lock the latch and handle using the key, but the sort of lock with an additional spring-loaded bolt which cannot enter the keep; when it is kept pushed into the lock mechanism it activates a lock on the main bolt. While thinking about this I've realised there's a source of confusion here - I've heard people refer to locking the handle of a nightlatch as deadlocking, even though the lock they're using isn't a deadlock. Mike

Reply to
docholliday

I fitted these to a terraced house recently - the family who moved in appreciate the ability to lock the doors at night but still get out in a fire.

Skipweasel

They don't. You can still open them from the key side.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Well, what you COULD do is buy her an entry keypad and solenoid activated lock, She just needs to use it as normal, but the care worker, armed with the access code can open it by unlocking the part in the frame. I have one on my door although its currently deactivated

Something like this

geoff

Actually it is highly undesirable to have a traditional Yale type lock as a) they are not a deadlock and can be relatively easily overcome, and b) they can be snibbed which inhibits the ability to escape easily in case of fire. Insurance companies are not at all happy if this is the main source of security on a door - I think they all insist that such a lock should be a deadlock

I suspect the OP is talking about a Yale type lock rather than a eurolock which does of course use a Yale type key. The latter do operate as a deadlock and should always on the main exit have a thumb turn on the inside for easy exiting.

I would suggest that the OP looks at trying to persuade the old lady that her lock should be changed on security grounds alone, and that a thumb-turn eurolock be fitted, which cannot be snibbed or blocked from the inside.

I have a mother of 91 who fortunately is still fully capable, physically and mentally, but as a family we may in time have to address similar problems. But as a cautionary tale she was locked out of her house the other day because the snib on the inner door yale had become loose over the years and fell into the lock position when she went out. Fortunately help was at hand but the bolt had to be sawn through to gain access.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

This one is quite good:

has an automatic 'deadlock' feature which means it can't be 'carded' when the door is closed. It can't be snibbed. It has a button to hold the bolt back if needed, but which won't lock it shut. It has a large easy to use turn lever on the inside.

The only downside is it can be locked from the inside, which isn't ideal in this situation. It's BS3621 so most insurance companies are happy with it as a replacement for a mortice lock.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A dead lock - to me - is one where the bolt is double locked in position so can't be levered open. Nothing to do with if it can be opened from the inside without a key.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How about a Euro with a (can't think of the proper name) little handle thingy on the inside, only key-operated on the outside? Safe easy exit in emergency (e.g. fire) too.

Reply to
John Stumbles

When I asked my local locksmith (many years ago - dunno if it's changed) he said thumbturn types were not insurance rated.

I'm still planning to install one (Round Tuits permitting) because getting out safely in a fire is worth more than the property in the house.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I'd like to think I have more than one exit in event of a fire.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd agree with the second part of that, but not the first. As I understand it the essence of the dead lock is that the bolt is moved by the key (or the thumb turn or equivalent) and doesn't have a spring, as a latch does. That means that it can't be levered open without breaking the mechanism, but there are latches which have double locking or other security features which also prevent them being levered open. That doesn't make them dead locks as I understand it (and it looks to me as if the manufacturers also use that definition). mike

Reply to
docholliday

The problem there, if it's on a glazed door, is that a burglar can just smash the glass, put his/her hand through, and open the door with the "handle thingy"...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Sorry - would you rather take the risk of being in a smoke filled house and unable to get out through the locked door because the smoke is preventing you finding the key, or the alternative, which is all too easily avoided by not have a glazed front door; and, once again, the insurance company would regard as an unnecessary risk. Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I agree entirely. I was really pointing out the risk of having a glazed front door, or at least one where a burglar can reach the inside of the lock.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Not if the glass is laminated. I "broke into" a neighbours house when grandparents were locked out by their small grandchild. I chose the front door, not realising it was laminated and it took ages with a hammer to get in. I should have used the toilet window but thought the glass would fly about too much.

Reply to
<me9

Ask a locksmith for a Euro cylinder that allows the lock to be opened from the outside with a key in the lock on the inside. It's a feature that can be fitted and un-fitted in better cylinders, for instance Keso and Kaba.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer