OT'ish Rotating House.

For anyone interested in a proper project.

mark

Reply to
mark

In message on Thu, 10 Feb

2011 12:05:21 -0000 mark wrote:

I'd wait for the house to stop spinning ...

And take more water with it next time ...

:)

Reply to
Terry Casey

Around which axis?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Probably just x and y until you get a feel for it.

mark

Reply to
mark

Is it OK if the house doesn't always rotate in the same direction but goes backwards regularly? That will allow the wiring, water main, gas pipe and sewer pipe to unwind. Otherwise you'll need to have a concentric pipe arrangement in the middle for the water and gas and sewer. Make sure there's a good seal between the water and sewer pipes. The wiring could be done with slip rings.

Reply to
Matty F

Something of this sort is available (at a price). The people who convert scrap airliners as houses do a swivel-mounted version for mounting in a lake, as the world's biggest weathervane.

(You walk in via a jetty and circular verandah)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The Post Office Tower had a rotating restaurant on top so that must have had some way of accommodating the various services.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

IIRC it was only the floor carying the tables which rotated, the services were in a non-rotating core. The speed of rotation was slow enough for people to be able to step across without problems

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Power, really. The rest of it was mounted in the core, which didn't revolve.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Not even power. Only the floor rotated, carrying the tables and chairs with it. The ceiling, lights, and window frames stayed still. So no service connections and no weather seal.

Is it still planned to re-open it in time for Sports Day?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There's one of these on the Donauturm in Vienna. Same principle, but the IRA haven't got to it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The bar in the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Times Square rotates. It's only the table part that does, though, it's an annulus around the serving section. IIRC, there are no services on the rotating part.

I spent an amusing evening there once watching Septics choosing tables so they could see the Superbowl on the big telly, which 3 minutes later was behind them ...

Reply to
Huge

ditto Berlin

Reply to
djc

I'm going there soon. Is it worth a visit, and where is it? What else should I see?

Ta

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

or in Wien

Reply to
djc

OK Thanks

I knew about that because I've been up it already!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I went up the one in Berlin in 1995. Haven't been near the one in Wien though I was there (and in Berlin) last year. Will be back in May so maybe I should take a look.

Reply to
djc

If you want to eat up there book ahead.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Champ

Thanks.

If you like towers, there is also the Radio Tower in Berlin

I was at a conference at RBB last year, didn't get a chance to see the Funkturm, though a tour of the original 1920s Radio building and TV studios was interesting.

Reply to
djc