Reply to
Mark Allread

Because he's an anti-Semite.

Reply to
Huge

He is stupid.

Reply to
dennis

Anthorn, another site near Blackpool. Skelton might have more than the rather tall VLF mast.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

electricity

I don't have a problem with them storing energy from sunlight and only selling to the market when the price is right, this al least makes them dispatchable to some extent. However they shouldn't be allowed to buy from the grid and be fined if the grid wants energy but they haven't got it. Which I guess is a variation on them making up the shortfall, ie the fine pays for an OCGT or WHY to fire up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

After four years you end up with a MPhys rather than Bsc, something that sits between BSc and MSc I think rather than a real Masters. Lad is in the process of deciding where he want's to go next year for Physics, last heard was St Andrews, Durham, Manchester possibly Warwick/Birmingham but Oxford hadn't been totally crossed of the list but they don't like being anything other than 1st choice and have all manner of hoops to jump through.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well that's a bit better than the opening words of my A Level Chemistry. "What ever they taught you at O Level forget it, its wrong".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Beyond the normal demand/supply arrangements, the grid has a twisty-turny maze of additional supply and demand reduction arrangements

It feels like this farm wants its cake and eat it, being a normal power supplier except when the grid needs some extra oomph, then it wants to be treated as a "frequency response" supplier, which is presumably more lucrative? To the extent that it's not currently using its much touted batteries, as doing so would disqualify it from being seen as a "new" storage supplier.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some might tell you that is the whole purpose of consciousness.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'll have one on mine oif someone is willing to pay for it. The I can pay them back for teh amount of electricity it generates in the same way I'd pay my electricity supplier, so if they make me an offer.....

Reply to
whisky-dave

"Wrong" is a little hyperbolic, but that happens at each stage of education, until you get to post-Doc, at which point you get to start looking into what's *actually* going on.

Reply to
Huge

Well no, you don't. You just become familiar with the latest and hopefully most accurate *model* of what is going on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 They only get exposure on so much TV in order to make up the quota for unfunny fat women.
Reply to
alan_m

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Nice one. ;-)

I think this whole renewable's thing is like the double glazing thing of years gone bye. Yes, you can reduce draughty windows and never have to pain them (good thing IMHO) but you then get issues with damp, mould, respiratory diseases and are forced to have a fixed trickle vent to get the draught back ... ;-(

Take the total energy efficiency (loss) of PV + battery + up / down conversion + transmission losses and the pollution created when mining, smelting, manufacturing, installing, maintaining, replacing and disposal of all this 'stuff' ... and I just hope it's at least net neutral (if we are lucky). ;-(

It's like those who were convinced if I fitted a dynamo to my electric car ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, it is a pity that whole house ventilation with heat exchanger isn't a cost-efficient or practical retro-fit.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I considered making something myself for the bathroom (the only part of the house with a cavity wall where it might be worth doing such a thing).

Extract the air though the ceiling, out though a baffle box of some sort (big heatsinks bolted back to back in the in / out airways) and then to a split or pair of vents etc?

I think I understand these things can be no more than 50% efficient (would a heat pump make that better somehow) and you have to consider any condensate and things getting blocked etc (so may warrant cleaning).

I'm assuming there is a good reason that such solutions aren't std practice still. Diminishing returns?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

They already exist. My wife had a rented out flat which was fine until a very clean family moved in. Lots of showers and clothes drying led to condensation mould near the top of the North facing walls.

Luckily the ducting already existed from the previous *off peak* heating distribution.

Downsides are the background noise from the fan and the routine cleaning maintenance.

You can get self contained wall mounted ones for bathroom extract locations.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've got a Ventaxia extractor fan with a heat exchanger for the incoming air. Quite compact, though a little on the noisy side for background ventilation. The 6" ones are probably better than the 4" ones in this respect, and I would choose one of those in preference if starting again.

Reply to
Roger Hayter