unFIT solar

It gets even more confusing being this report refers to them as 1.2MWh:

however the reporter isn't clear whether that's 1.2MWh per container or

1.2MWh total. But if it is per container it would fit the 6MWh figure.

At 1m53 the minister is going into the container, and the official behind her says 'five at 1.2' and then is talked over by the reporter so we miss whether the next word was 'each'.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Notwithstanding that, it was noticeable when I got to Uni to do Physics, how much harder the course content was than even A-level Physics. Much, much harder.

Reality is not easy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I would use the word "ineffective", rather than "inefficient". You need close coupling for a transformer, which is what we are talking about. That's why on an actual transformer, both sets of windings are over the same core.

But all that happens with poor coupling is that less energy is transferred; the losses are not higher. With poor coupling, the EMF generated back to the source winding is reduced, so its impedance goes up and the current flow is reduced.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Or 'Fine Art'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, that's a start (towards solar standing on it's own two feet).

Now we just need to be sure that it actually creates more energy and actually saves (not creates more) pollution over it's lifetime and we can at least make use of them during daylight hours (and mostly in the summer, not so much in the winter when we need such energy, in the UK especially for heating and charging our electric cars that are even less efficient in the cold).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The more I read on this farm, the less it sounds subsidy free

It's more like a balancing power reserve (the batteries) that happens to be re-charged (partly) from its own PV array, so presumably it's getting a healthy rate for what it churns out, but they're not called FIT subsidies?

Where rate do battery "generators" get?

Reply to
Andy Burns

History of art is probaly the least taxing degree course ever, if you have the ability to memorise ..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why does buying low and selling high require subsidy? It's just arbitrage.

Even if it's charged by nuclear power at night and discharged at teatime, the spot price will be higher when there's high demand and low when nobody's taking power. So you can make money by filling up on cheap energy and selling when it's expensive.

I have no idea whether that's enough to cover costs, though.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

What about fish farms ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

At a rough calculation I estimate that 1% of the UK would need to be covered by these farms to generate enough for the 27 million households in the UK

Reply to
whisky-dave

Do you actually need to be able to tell one picture from another, and notice when pictures are similar or different in style? That's a bit hard for some of us.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Quite, along with a lot of how we often 'judge' peoples abilities, especially in the 'education system' these days. ;-(

Giving a positive bias to those who happen to be able to remember stuff over those who can do stuff is a form of prejudice IMHO.

I understand in the states, ordinary blue collar workers re given much more respect than they are over here with our pompous, elitist (and generally bogus) viewpoint on what is actually important or valuable (with 'celebrity' being a classic example of the worst of that).

It will be interesting to see who are begging for food and who are able to do something 'practical' to earn their keep. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

'Sea prices'. ;-)

Or if it's ecologically sound etc?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've always taken the 'farm' usage to refer to a significant area of land used without buildings, or much buildings.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

There are battery schemes within the national grid's "enhanced frequency regulation" scheme, not found yet whether this one does, or if it's another of their myriad balancing schemes.

Various EFR projects seems to cost between £7 and £12 per MW per hour (odd units!)

Three other 10MW battery EFR have tendered for about 350GWh each over 4 years and come in at £2.7m, £3.9m and £4.2m contract values.

So probably that's the basis this pv+battery farm operates on, and the less Wh it has to buy from the grid because it can get them from its own panels, the more profitable it becomes?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed!. Up to A level I was fortunate that I seemed able to understand and remember enough without really having to try, and got an A pass. At university, studying electrical engineering, I rested on my laurels somewhat, and didn't devote enough time (or effort) to the physics course, and had to resit the first year exam.

I guess the real difference was that the university syllabus seemed focused far more on proof of theorems, rather than understanding of the processes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If it was, everyone would be doing it until it wasn't.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, I dont think so.

I think you get a degree for being blonde with nice t*ts.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am minded to wonder how it goes with aspiring physics students these days, if the exams are supposed to have been dumbed down. You can't dumb down reality, so you can't dumb down degree-level physics. Must make it even harder when they get there.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes we still use exam results for such things.

So what's wrong with that ?

IS that why nurses are worth half of a MP ? (salery wise) lets see how long does it take to train each.

They and others just over-value them that's all.

and who is the strongest.

Reply to
whisky-dave