UKTV are re-launching UKTV Style as Home

Home theres no place like it - www.lovehome.co.uk
Home launches at 9am on Thursday 30th April 2009.
Home (currently known as UKTV Style) will be a new look channel packed with inspirational home and gardens programming. Other home grown commissions, such as Celebrity Fantasy Homes with Gaby Roslin, Love The Place Youre In with Gordon Whistance and Gutted with Mark Durden Smith will play alongside the phenomenally successful US show Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and popular series including DIY SOS, Escape To The Country, and Ground Force. Home promises a welcome refuge with energetic, stylish and motivating programming that shows viewers how to enjoy and maximise their space, both inside and out.
Celebrity Fantasy Homes exclusive to Home
Celebrity Fantasy Homes follows famous house hunters in search of their dream properties in the UK and abroad. Gaby Roslin (Children in Need, The Big Breakfast) takes celebrity property hunters David Gest, Lady Victoria Hervey, Brendon Cole, Lee Sharpe, Sherri Hewson, the Right Said Fred brothers and Mica Paris to view four prospective properties. Each programme is dedicated to a different celebrity taking viewers to fantasy properties spanning London, Spain, Sardinia, the Home Counties, Windsor and Cambridge.
Live the dream, catch Celebrity Fantasy Homes from Thursday 30th April at 9pm on Home.
Gutted exclusive to Home, Mondays at 10am from May 4th
Mark Durden-Smith lifts the lid on Britains most cluttered houses and targets hoarding homeowners in Gutted!
From rooms filled to the rafters with junk or families in desperate need of extra space, Mark and the team come to the rescue in Gutted.
Families fed up with sharing their space with a load of old tat nominate an un-suspecting hoarder who gets the fright of their life when they return home to find all of their worldly possessions missing and their house stripped bare! Briefly they breathe a sigh of relief when they learn their belongings are safely stored in a removal van parked outside. However, to win their possessions back the Guttees have to remember everything they own AND correctly answer a question about the item
Home gives viewers and web users a clear destination for all the best home gardens content and programmes.
All UKTV channels are distributed on Sky and Virgin Media. Dave and Yesterday are also available on Freeview.
--
Home style

Your description of the progs certainly won't make me rush out to get Sky.

Be nice if they actually commissioned some progs themselves rather than just showing repeats of repeats. Needn't be expensive - some sensible DIY progs could get a niche audience.
--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

They do. I wouldn't bother with them.
MBQ

That fact that Sky is owned by Murdoch is good enough reason not to get it.

Crikey. We agree about something. ;-)
--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Hitch up your flying pig, there's three of us 8-)

Celebs, chatter and more f****** celebs and chatter . For a paradigm shift, owz abouts offering us some real craftsmen(persons) doing some real pieces of high quality work. No f****** celebs, no air brained presenter, no inane chattering. Just a supportive background commentary. Won't ever be happening , as you media tossers simply cannot reconcile something that informs, educates and entertains, to "energetic, stylish and motivating programming ".

Agreed. Given the vast number of channels all showing the same rubbish, you'd have thought at least one would be after a new audience - and given how busy this group is it might give a clue. A simple studio based prog with real craftsmen showing how to do DIY stuff would not be costly to make. And would appeal to experienced DIYers as well as novices. It's also something which wouldn't date much so could be shown many times - unlike 'reality' shows. Grand Designs is slightly in that mould - but I'd say much more expensive to make.
--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

"Tool Time"
There was, a few years ago, a real house makeover program with two Americans renovating a house somwhere in London. It involved some serious work, re-roofing, re-wiring, plumbing etc. I thought it was worth watching because there were no silly artificial deadlines and the work was done competently with enough explanation to follow and reproduce it. Sadly gormless TV producers who can only follow the most basic DIY decided that it was far better to make shows which feature artificial deadlines and lightweight set makeovers.
Steve Firth wrote:

That sounds like 'This Old House'. They did a series in London some years back. Was the project a top-floor flat?

Yes that sounds like it. Complete roof off job.
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Hear hear.
I am sick to death of human interest - look at how pathetic these people are, and if by chance you find someone competent at anything, they are obviously too geeky to be of general interest to the great unwashed.
That 'this is how you plaster a wall' U-tube was streets ahead of anything on any live channel.
Id rather watch training videos than grand designs.

Mw too!
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 22:58:54 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Would an audience of say 100,000 be big enough to attract enough advertising to balance the books? With good informative content the branded tool makers and less "style" DIY sheds might buy air time. But where do you get enough high enough quality programming to fill a channel 24/7? Or even 4 hours/day on rolling repeat?

It would be a tricky balance but not impossible. And thinking about what can be involved in even a simple task like putting up a shelf I think you'd be better off doing it in the real world. I'm thinking of all the different wall types and the problems they produce. It's no good just showing how to fix to a plaster/brick wall, you need to show the others like plasterboard on studs or dot 'n dab, old walls with 2" of bonding to level them. Even how to tell waht sort of wall you have. Also you need to take into account the expected loading on the shelf, is it for books or a few lightweight ornaments?

I should think Grand Designs is actually quite cheap compared to a studio programme. I doubt very much that 7 days of PSC crew is more than a day of studio time and with the studio programme you have design and set costs to add along with item specific costs. Grand Designs is not much more than showing and reporting something that you aren't paying for.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Given Grand Designs seem to use the same crew they could be travelling many hours for each day's shoot. Of which there must be many to cover any build accurately.

My understanding is a substantial fee is involved.
Studio shoots can be very cost effective if you use the right studio at the right price and set it up for a longish run. That's why progs like Hells Kitchen use one.
--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Is it? They asked us about filming our work on the house in Italy. The offer of cash was a drop in the ocean. This was a long time ago, back before they did a story about the castle in Tuscany. I think researcher picked us (and several others) up from a web-forum for people renovating homes in Italy.

appearances that I have made. It depends a bit on the length of the appearance and the amount of preparation. Sometimes the fee is split with an amount paid as author and another as interviewee/performer.
Mind you, thinking about the shooting schedule we discussed, 20K would be a lot less than 2000 per day.
TBH at these rates I'm astonished that anyone other than the big headline names makes enough to live off TV wages. 2K in a lump sounds brilliant. Getting 2K every six to nine months less so.

Tell me about it. I get paid quite well when working - but nothing at all when not. Of course a 'headline' in a paper would give the annual amount if working 24/7 - rather like they did with plumbers a couple of years ago.
And since I mainly work for ITV I'm looking at a lean year ahead.
--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Even GD is so obviously manipulated so that they either choose clueless fuckwits who don't have a clue about managing the project they've taken on, or there's some disaster or some other issue to give the programme an "edge".
The first series or two were good. Now, I just think McCloud's a pretentious pillock.
MBQ
In article

Wouldn't most unusual projects have a disaster or two?

He certainly likes to point out that thinking you know more about project management than a pro is fraught with danger.
--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*