UK Govt trying to buy bankrupt One-web

Odd that London-based Inmarsat (ISAT) was allowed to be bought by a US private equity company just over a year ago.

Previously known as the International Maritime Organisation.

Bought by yet another Canadian pension system (in part) who seem to be buying up as much as the Chinese are.

Reply to
Andrew

'We've bought the wrong satellites': UK tech gamble baffles experts

?OneWeb is working on basically the same idea as Elon Musk?s Starlink: a mega-constellation of satellites in low Earth orbit, which are used to connect people on the ground to the internet.

?What?s happened is that the very talented lobbyists at OneWeb have convinced the government that we can completely redesign some of the satellites to piggyback a navigation payload on it. It?s bolting an unproven technology on to a mega-constellation that?s designed to do something else. It?s a tech and business gamble.?

(I suppose the Graun would say that.)

Reply to
Max Demian

But the Graun was quoting!

?The fundamental starting point is, yes, we?ve bought the wrong satellites,? said Dr Bleddyn Bowen, a space policy expert at the University of Leicester. ?OneWeb is working on basically the same idea as Elon Musk?s Starlink: a mega-constellation of satellites in low Earth orbit, which are used to connect people on the ground to the internet.

?What?s happened is that the very talented lobbyists at OneWeb have convinced the government that we can completely redesign some of the satellites to piggyback a navigation payload on it. It?s bolting an unproven technology on to a mega-constellation that?s designed to do something else. It?s a tech and business gamble.?

Giles Thorne, a research analyst at Jeffries, agreed. ?This situation is nonsensical to me,? he said. ?This situation looks like nationalism trumping solid industrial policy.?

Also - who owns the other 80%?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

OK so Bowen is a space policy expert. But is there actually *evidence* of that sales pitch, or is it just speculation (even if expert)?

Reply to
newshound

I never thought there was much point* building Galileo, let alone the UK also having its own GNSS, so perhaps using something substantially different to GPS/GLONAS/BEIDOU/GALILEO does make sense, Lord Willets (associated with Surrey Satellites) seemed to think it had merit when interviewed on Today during the week.

[*] as soon as the EU said they'd put it on frequencies close to GPS so the USA wouldn't be able to jam it, the USA just said if push comes to shove, we'll shoot yours down
Reply to
Andy Burns

Isn't the US subscribed to a treaty that forbids that ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Perhaps it is, and perhaps it would abide to it; nevertheless GALILEO ended-up using different frequencies.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andrew

Could all be moot anyway.