Trolley for washing machine and tumble drier.

The "move a fridge without damaging the floor" thread reminded me of this problem, but I thought I'd start a new thread rather than clutter up that one.

I have a 50 Kg tumble drier stacked on top of an 80 Kg washing machine resting a pair of metal rollers, similar to these...

[1]

... on top of a just-big-enough piece of hardboard on top of vinyl flooring on top of chipboard on top of a suspended t&g floor (whew!). The large heavy white tower is rolled into a gap, about 75 cm wide, in the laundry room, between the pipe-work and the side wall. It's all pretty tight, but it went in OK. That was about eight years ago.

I'm not looking forward to the time I have to get it out again. The problem is that the washing machine has walked half-way off its rollers, and it's going to be quite a job getting it back onto them in order to slide it all out. The only access is to he front panel and the front half of one side panel. I don't think there's much I can do about that, though, one day or another it will have to be done.

Then I'll have to put it all back again, and that's where I'm looking for suggestions. Is there anything more durable that I could buy, or make, to allow 130 Kg of appliance to be wheeled in and out, that will stand up to the rocking and vibration of the washing machine? Any suggestions?

Looking on the bright side, there's plenty of room above the tumble drier, so the platform or whatever can be any height, within reason.

[1] Great picture! Just how (any why) did they remove the rollers after putting the tumble-drier in place?
Reply to
Mike Barnes

The message from Mike Barnes contains these words:

Is there any particular reason it has to be on rollers in the first place? Mine just slide out when I need to. If you're worried about the floor sit 'em on a bit of hardboard and slide another bit up to it when you need to move them.

As for the rumblegrinder - just lift it up, it's only 50kg.

Reply to
Guy King

There is hardboard underneath. I also still have the carefully-shaped piece of hardboard that sits in front of it, which I used when putting the machine in there. The washer is nearly 20 years old and the feet weren't made for sliding. There's no way it would slide with the tumble drier on top.

That's what I did when installing it, but before I rolled things into the corner (so I could get a decent grip) and before I had a bad back. :-(

Access is *very* tight. The room is an oversized airing cupboard, 125 x

165 cm, with a hot water tank, shower pump, central heating pump, and lots of pipes to contend with. If you got two people in there, they couldn't move anything anywhere.

But I take your point, sliding might be the way to go. I think I'd need to modify the feet to slide more easily, and to bolt handles to the side panels of the washing machine to make it possible to get a grip.

Reply to
Mike Barnes