venting tumble drier through roof?

Hi all,

I have a tumble drier that I am hopefully moving to a garage that I am currently constructing (see my other questions :-). Unfortunately the location of the drier in the garage will have no access to external walls, as it is surrounded by the house and a party wall. The garage entrance wall (yes it has one! ;-) is 27ft from the planned location of the drier.

As I cannot change the location of the tumble drier in the garage (a sort of utility area beside the washing machine which has its own constraints) is it possible to vent it through the roof, or would there be problems with condensation running down the pipe? My tumble drier is fairly new so I don't fancy changing it.

Anybody try this? any advice appreciated.

Derek.

Reply to
Derek

You need to provide provision to drain any water that condenses in the pope, and some means so that it won't flow back into the dryer. Check the manual for the maximum length of pipe.

Metal pipe is good, plastic pipe is bad, as in the case of a lint fire, plastic pipe will let it out. A "U" bend, with a drain at the bottom would work for example.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You can buy gizmos which attach to the outflow hose specifically for applications where there's no vent to outside; the vapour condenses in a collector apparently. No idea how well they work; think I've seen them advertised in the Sunday papers.

David

Reply to
Lobster

constraints)

They don't work ... The OP solution may be a proper condensing drier though

Reply to
BillV