Lidl kitchen tap

Does anyone have experience of the tap on offer at Lidl

there likely be a problem if this was originally intended for the German market like lots of their other stuff (different pipe sizes?)

Also, how difficult would it be to fit this in place of an existing mixer tap. Th current tap is only 1 year old like the res of the house, but it's really annoying as the jet of water tends to get everywhere.... I have basic plumbing experience, but mostly on accessible pipework. Btw, hot and cold are both mains pressure in the house if it makes any difference.

Reply to
MarkM

The tap is fine and if like the previous ones bought there, very easy to fit.

The only problem is that the tap has tails that end in a 3/8 inch connector and you will need to go to a plumbers and buy 15mm to 3/8ths brass connector. This costs pennies.

Reply to
EricP

As seen on eBay for £30 ~ 40

Reply to
Toby

You need to ensure tap can be used on a pressurised system

Reply to
Alex

TBH, I've never seen one that can't. You see plenty that are only suitable for mains pressure, but I've yet to come across a "gravity" one that doesn't work better with a bit of oomph!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

bought one about 6 months ago and it started leaking after 4 months, from the lever mechanism, so I binned it the hose discolours fairly quickly too... with use that is

Les

Reply to
in2minds

Would there likely be a problem if this was originally intended for

Fitting kitchen sink taps isn't the easiest plumbing job (nor the hardest by far!). The existing tap tails and the new ones will NOT match up (unless you have a better relationship with the deities than most of us mortals do :-).

These Lidl taps will be intended for mains pressure systems (like yours) and will probably be pretty pathetic on gravity systems (if anyone's thinking of that)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Would there likely be a problem if this was originally intended for

Can't comment on the Lidl tap but I've seen the problem with your present one a several times. You get this "water pistol" effect with cheap taps that have a small bore (e.g. MFI) on mains pressure systems. Putting a restrictor valve in the line may help but on the hot may restrict the flow so the combi doesn't fire. With taps its very much a case of you get what you pay for.

Reply to
BillV

It's not a combi boiler, so that shouldn't be a problem, although the water still goes everywhere even if the tap isn't on strongly - it just has to hit some stuff in the sink at an angle and it gets jetted out of the basin. Never had the problem with our old tap..

Reply to
MarkM

> ap).

You must have high pressure for it to do that. If you haven't then the Lidl one wouldn't work very well.. If you take your current one apart you'll see it has narrow bores.

Reply to
BillV

> > ap).

Just fitted one of these Wot ! a Bitch of a job This was a replacement and there was little room to work. But once fitted it works well and look good. Use push fit fittings this will help . BigGuyUK

Reply to
BigGuyUK

My point was that it's a mains pressure storage system, not a combi. I expect you're right about the bore of the current one.

Reply to
MarkM

What was the biggest hassle? Mechanically removing and fixing the tap, or connecting up the pipes? Is it just a big nut used to fix these monoblocs onto the sink - I can imagine it would be impossible to get a conventional spanner anywhere near... I think I'll try an pick up one of these taps and give it a go - there's not much to lose (as long as I don't flood the house!)

Reply to
MarkM

> > > ap).

I'm changing daughter's kitchen tap for the same reason. The current one fed from a combi + mains cold is like a high pressure hosepipe into the sink. Soaks everything and everybody if your not careful. The flow is ok but its through a small orifice ... cheap MFI swan neck type tap. Turning down the flow using the shutoff valves under the sink, so that it didn't splash everywhere, only stopped the combi firing when the hot side was turned on :-(

Reply to
BillV

Anotheer reason not to use combis.

Reply to