Shower option for combi boiler

I'm having a non-condensing combi boiler fitted in a couple of weeks to replace the existing back boiler and HWC system. I've been told that I won't be able to use my existing power shower which gets its supply from the HWC and a cold water tank in the loft.

Is it the case that I definitely need to replace the shower? If so, what are the alternatives? Is a thermostatic shower mixer a good idea? There is one on sale at Lidl next week for a very good price :-

TIA,

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Weve got an Aqualisa thermostatic mixer shower, and I have to say, its brilliant. Not only that, but the after care service is brilliant too... Had a slight problem with it when we first had it fitted, made a phone call, and the next day a guy turned up and fixed it. Highly recomended.

Reply to
Spike

You need a thermostatic shower specifically designed for combi/multipoint use, and the cold feed will need replumbing to come from the water mains, not the header tank. These are designed to handle full pressure cold, anything from low to full pressure hot, and know they can't change the temperature just be reducing the hot flow (which with a combi/multipoint often just makes the hot water hotter to exactly cancel out the effect of the intended change).

Also, take the pump out (have heard of cases where it was left in, and explodes a few days later with the mains water pressure).

enough detail. You would have to check what's written on the box and/or the instructions with regards to suitability.

I bought a Gainsborough a few years ago, and that came in

3 types. IIRC, they were equal pressure inputs, high pressure cold with low pressure hot, and combi/multipoint. Two of them could easily be converted between by swapping a part, but the third was completely different inside.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I am getting rid of the header tank and having the whole house running off the main when I get the boiler fitted.

Interesting. I've still got the instructions knocking about. I'll have to check if it mentions anything about mains pressure.

Thanks for the info Andrew, I'll have to look into it further.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Bad form an all that, I know, but just to clarify, it is hooked up to a Combi boiler, and runs off the mains cold at full pressure..

Its one of these..

plumber who put it in recomended it as its one he uses at home :-)

Reply to
Spike

Notwithstanding the other helpful advice, are you aware that it is no longer legal to fit a non-condensing boiler unless the circumstances of the installation (worked on a points system related to location etc.) meet certain criteria? Details at

in the Building Regulations section.

There could be some cases with a back boiler installation where it would not be reasonably possible according to the criteria to install a condensing boiler. However, since the intent is to fit a combi, then almost certainly the exemption criteria would not be met.

Obviously you *can* do want you want, but it may result in issues when selling the house.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I fitted the Aqualisa Quartz model for combi boilers and One year later it is still brilliant,very easy to install.it was not cheap but it really is the bee's knee's.

Reply to
Alex

Even if you leave it in, you must not run it. It could generate negative pressure in the water main, and then all those leaks we've been hearing about on the news start operating the other way round, sucking contaminents from the soil into the fresh water supply.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , andrew@a17.?.invalid writes

I had a look and it specifically says it must not be run off a mains feed so its definitely got to go.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Andy Hall writes

Yes I appreciate that but my heating engineer for the past 10 years shares my dislike of condensing boilers and is more than happy to fit a non-condenser and take care of the paperwork.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Alex writes

It is rather pricey but I wouldn't rule it out. The Lidl one at £15 is rather too cheap :)

Reply to
Paul Giverin