Trimming skirting for curved floor edge.

Hi all.
The bedroom I have just finished laying engineered w/wood flooring in
has a concrete base in front of the chimney breast (old victorian
terrace)
This concrete base was a little higher than the floorboards and has
resulted a slight rise at the edge but enough to mess up the skirting
that will cover this part
of the wall.
I've got some idea of how to trim the bottom edge of the skirting to
fit it level
and join up with the adjacent piece(s).
eg draw horizontal line on wall from top edge of adjacent piece,
then measure heights at regular intervals.
But this idea requires good skills with hand tools, eg plane. And I'm
shit with a plane.
Has anyone got a more foolproof idea?
Reply to
Arthur 51
Either run it through a sawbench, or fix it to something bigger and use a circular saw to trim the width. IMO the bottom edge of the skirting should be straight, even if the floor isn't. I'd have probably chopped out the concrete to get the whole thing flat. IME those hearths are only 50mm or so deep and break up pretty easily.
Reply to
Stuart Noble
Crap with a plane? Then try a Surform plane and sandpaper and block, and you can't go wrong
dg
Reply to
dg
On 21 Dec, 11:53, Stuart Noble wrote:
The skirting is 18mm thick x 5" mdf. I have a radiator that runs nearly the whole width of this chimney breast so will hide the trimmed skirting. And I've got some spare skirting to try again if I really mess it up.
Thanks.
Arthur
Reply to
Arthur 51
A hand plane and MDF don't go together anyway as the MDF has so much c**p in it that it'll blunten the plane blade in no time.
Get a cheap electric plane with hardened blades and use that. Remember that if you use the plane, of any sorts, horizontal but at an angle across the face you're planing, you can take out quite big dips in something like skirting.
Rob
Rob
Reply to
robgraham
"Arthur 51" wrote in message
Wizzer,cut a channel in the concrete hearth the thicness of the sirting and the slight depth and slot the skirting in that channel no need for your crap planing then
Reply to
George
Router in a table?
Electric plane followed by sanding block?
Surform follow3ed by ditto.
Everyone is 'shit with a plane'
The answer is to do it a little at a time,. check frequently,. and expect the job to take all day, and be chuffed when its finished by teatime.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Site Timeline Threads