trimming bottom of skirting

I am just finishing off my shower room project and will be having some vinyl flooring put down shortly. At the moment my skirting is almost touching the floor and I think it would look a lot better if I trim

8mm or so from the bottom. This would then enable me to put both the hardboard and the vinyl underneath the skirting.

My house is over 100 years old and this is the original skirting and is fixed to original plastered wall. I don't want to remove and refit the skirting as this is likely to mean a lot of re-plastering. I have had to do this on one wall and it was a right pain, resulting in me replastering the whole wall.

Any ideas on the best way of doing this? This looks good

not sure this I can run to =A3469. Will it undercut in the corner? I have seen these are available from hire shops, but are they any good?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim Decker
8mm or so from the bottom. This would then enable me to put both the hardboard and the vinyl underneath the skirting.

My house is over 100 years old and this is the original skirting and is fixed to original plastered wall. I don't want to remove and refit the skirting as this is likely to mean a lot of re-plastering. I have had to do this on one wall and it was a right pain, resulting in me replastering the whole wall.

Any ideas on the best way of doing this? This looks good

not sure this I can run to £469. Will it undercut in the corner? I have seen these are available from hire shops, but are they any good?

Thanks, Tim

That's not very different from a biscuit cutter, but you can't normally get them down flush to the floor. It won't get right into the corners of course, but a Fein Multimaster or the Bosch clone would. Just be sure you don't have any power or lighting cables running up under the skirting!

Reply to
newshound

You are welcome to borrow my Bosch PMF180 mate.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you are putting vinyl floor couldn't you just but it up to the skirting? We have had some 'amtico' flooring (vinyl planks) in a bathroom. The fitter laid the ply and fitted the vinyl upto the skirting and it looks fantastic. If you were putting down wood / laminate which required an expansion gap then that would be a different matter, but vinyl, I would just but it upto the skirting.

Reply to
diy-newby

Quicker and easier in the long run to take the skirting off I would have thought. How long can it take to level up a bit of plaster and Gripfil the skirting back?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

But then your cutting would need to be mighty accurate, which isn't that easy with vinyl.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks Dave, What a tool. Job done and very quick. Can't hear anything though.....quite noisy

Tim

Reply to
Tim Decker

Pardon? :-)