Train Truckers - Immingham to London by road

Will it be allowed to move & tamp our track if it isn't?

Reply to
Jim K...

Why take a 170ton new special tamping machine all the way from Linz in Austria by rail to catch a ferry all the way to Immingham, and with the eventual destination London - take it by road from Immingham to London?

Why could not have gone by rail, instead of causing chaos on the roads?

Why not deliver it closer to London directly?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

when brand new trains are delivered by road on low-loaders, what hope is there for rail freight?

Andy Burns

Do you know that it was within our smaller loading gauge?

Reply to
Robin

That'd be after it was unpacked.

Reply to
Robin

This eurostar carraige was being transported down leabridge road oct 2017

?dl=0

Reply to
whisky-dave

That is the usual reason why such kit has to be moved by road.

Like the Shinkansen going to the York railway museum.

Incidentally what is the limit these days on wide vehicles travelling on motorways and trunk roads before they have to have a "wide load" escort vehicle in attendance. I saw one recently that was significantly wider than a single motorway lane and the only concessions were red/yellow triangles on its bottom rear corners.

It was blocking two lanes as it trundled along the A1(M)at under 50mph.

Oversized portacabin at least 1.5m wider than a single motorway lane (which ISTR is about 3.6m).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Robin was thinking very hard :

I'm not sure what you were asking there, but from what I gathered...

It was a 170 ton rail tamper intended for Network Rail, in two sections. It had already travelled 700 (?) miles by rail from Linz to the channel ferry port. It was loaded onto a road transport at the ferry port, then onto the ferry to Immingham, off the ferry then by road all the way to west London. No doubt

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

The loading gauge defines the height of the load that can go under our comparatively low rail bridges. It's higher on the continent.

Reply to
charles

The first accident with a Channel tunnel train/carriage was on Stocks Lane in Barnsley.

Reply to
ARW

Is that "by rail" or "on the rails"? In other word, was it running on its own wheels as it would be when in operation or was it loaded on other stock?

Reply to
Robin

Robin has brought this to us :

It was towed by a rail engine, on its own wheels.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

charles wrote on 11/10/2019 :

As it was intended for use on the UK's railway lines, I suppose it would be no higher than standard UK height.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I seem to remember seeing at York railway museum different rail heights/cross sections for high speed trains From memory the rail that the Shinkansen run on was 2x to 3x the height of the standard British track so perhaps the wheels would bottom out on the sleepers or ballast on the UK track

Reply to
alan_m

It depends upon which lines it is to be used. Lines have different loading gauges depending upon when they were built and by which company and different permissible axle loadings depending upon the type and "weight" of rail, bridge limits, etc.

Some lines required steam trains (and later diesels) with cut-down cabs compared to the same class of locos used on other lines and locos were/are often prohibited due to their overall weight or axle loads.

All locos and rolling stock have a route availability, which combines axle loading and loading gauge and informs where they can and cannot be used.

It may be possible to send an out of gauge loco or train along a line, but only with accurate measurements beforehand; removal of some structures that are too close to the track; at slow speed and under special instruction and supervision.

Generally though, locos, carriages, etc. are transported by road, because they cannot easily be fitted between the scheduled trains and because it is cheaper!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker presented the following explanation :

That might be a possibility, cheaper for the rail companies, but everyone else pays due to the delays and hold ups on the road.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

If it was goingb to west London, it was probably for HS2. That may well use a 21st Century loading gauge rather than a 19th C one.

Reply to
charles

It was going to Plasser and Theurer's West Ealing works for commissioning and handover to Network Rail

Jim

Reply to
Jim White

It's a Eurostar train which is quite possibly out of gauge for the rest of the network

tim

Reply to
tim...

It's a class 80x "azuma" which run from Kings Cross to Waverley and Paddington to Bristol (other than knowing that loading gauges exist, I don't know what those trains/routes are classed as)

Reply to
Andy Burns