Oncoming train. :-(

Any others?

Reply to
Jim K..

Yes, just when I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel

I've cleared back the redundant wiring, treble checked I have the ring main, and cut into it to join the new part of the ring in.

The old (red and black) cable has the green plasticiser rot.

So it will need replacing in the near future. Too big a job for me at the moment.

The redundant cable I removed doesn't have this problem, of course.

Ah, well.

I'll just have to clean up the copper for the moment and join it all in.

Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do.....

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Not necessarily.

The exudate is of low flammability and low toxicity. Although unsightly, it does not reduce the electrical integrity of the conductor or the insulation. However, the green go may have decremental effects on both accessories (in appearance and functionality terms) and their surrounding decorative finishes. ... There are possible Health and Safety issues of retaining, working with and the disposal of contaminated wiring and accessories. Deposits of the product must not be permitted to be exposed for causal contact, particularly in areas accessible to children. ... In cases where a property is to be completely rewired, redundant materials should be disconnected and removed from site. Di-isoctyl phthalate is a toxic substance and suitable protective clothing should be worn when handling waste materials. Special attention should be paid to hygiene when working on contaminated installations.

The plasticiser itself is a clear oily liquid that is non-conductive. The green substance is a combination of copper oxide and plasticiser which is conductive. Therefore, whenever this green substance is found at socket outlets etc. it should be removed and the terminations cleaned (gloves should be worn) otherwise it is possible that tracking/overheating may occur. It is normally considered that if greening is found that rewiring should strongly be considered.

If, however, it is considered that rewiring is not required and the effect on decoration and equipment is acceptable then the following actions are advised:

Periodic inspection and testing is carried out Visual inspection of cable ends, equipment and cleaning/replacement is carried out as required That the resistance of conductors is monitored to ascertain that conductors are not being over oxidised (in parts of the cable that cannot be seen) and their resistance thereby increasing

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Thank you very much for this useful information!

Apart from not wearing gloves I seem to have done OK.

Everything is connected up and working, so I will consult with my favourite electrician and see what he says.

That is, is it worth replacing.

Thanks again.

Dave R

Reply to
David

Do you want me to give you a pile of money tends to result in a yes answer. So bit pointless asking.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I must say, if I were unhappy I would replace for piece of mind. The cable must be quite old anyway. I have replaced items that while electrically safe don't look neat and tidy. It makes me feel better.

Reply to
Scott

Which piece of your mind needs replacing?! It's "peace of mind", please, please, pretty please,

Reply to
Chris Green

I do apologise. I am usually quite good on spelling. I cannot even blame predictive texting for this one. I am glad you gave me a piece of your mind over this. .

Reply to
Scott

:-) The trouble is (partly) of course that spell check doesn't pick it up. However it does seem to me that some people really think it is "piece of mind" when meaning reassurance about something.

Reply to
Chris Green

And some people seem to think that "lose" is spelled "loose", too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In my case, it was making a posting when I was not fully awake! At work I enjoyed a reputation for being able to spell!

Reply to
Scott

So you are saying that just one of the cables has gone hard? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sounds disgusting. I'm glad I have not looked at ours. I wonder if a similar problem causes the rubbery parts of modern appliances to go sticky and leach out amber grunge? It would be a little odd as these are mainly on camera handles remote controls and stuff like that. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The upstairs lighting cable in the loft (1mm T&E) had this green gooy stuff when I insulated the loft 10 years ago and built a raised storage platform above the 300mm rockwool.

I wonderd what it was, so I replaced it all with newer stuff, also red and black, but wasn't aware it was 'toxic'.

Reply to
Andrew

Could this be why my PURE One Mini has gone sticky?

Reply to
Scott

I do that..

However, lose is something which will soon be lost.

Loose is something which is not tight.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Did it have a "soft touch" coating when new? That can go sticky after a few years. Fortunately the sticky can be removed with meths, blue/kitchen roll and varying quantities of elbow grease. You'll end up with smooth shiny plastic but at least you'll be happy to handle it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can just varnish with a matt varnish.

Reply to
dennis