New filling hose required?

I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one manual that it states the old filling hose should never be reused when the machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace it, (or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the washing machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've experienced recently. Too much information!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Have you found the instructions for the quick wash?

Reply to
ARW

I haven't asked my 6-year old grandson how to do it yet! :-)

Looking at some of the specs was enough! It seems to me that the new machines are adding pointless functions on top of already pointless functions, and making it even more complicated. The "quick washes" seem to vary from brand to brand, and with some of the standard washes taking well over four hours I can see why they are needed. Actually, trying to find the "best" machine for our needs is a lot simpler in one way as "The Management" insists on a silver/grey/stainless steel colour to match everything else, and there are far fewer of those available now than several years ago.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The commonest source of house flooding is Wm hoses splitting. I 'spect it's to avoid this. They go hard & inflexible with age. When moved/bent they can split.

Reply to
harry

I found one that could actually do a 14 minute quick wash.

Technical stuff like bedding is left to the gf as is loading up the tumble drier afterwards and then making up the bed.

Reply to
ARW

Q: Do filling hoses last forever? A: No Q: Were you supplied with new hoses with the new machine? A: Yes.

Seems to be a bit of a no brainier unless you like floods.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It'll only need a cold fill, but in any case I'll need a longer hose (at least 2,2m) as the WM is that far from the cold water supply, and it has to run behind the dishwasher.

Well, it might be somewhat less clear than you think according to the reviews here reporting leaks with new or almost new hoses:

Similar with Wickes, although the B&Q one gets good reports.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Washing machines it is all black arts only wummin know the right incantations.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

The supplied hoses are 1.5m so you'll need a 2.5m hose. Buy red ones, they're a pound cheaper than blue in the sheds, due to demand based pricing algorithms.

Reply to
Graham.

Catchy tune: #Washing machines live longer in Manchester#

Reply to
Graham.

Because its not a great idea if it bursts because its too old and floods the house.

And isnt much use when deciding how well it washes the worst of the clothes.

Reply to
Jack98

I'll bet in most households no more than 3 settings will be used.

In my household its either short or long wash at 30C or an occasional wash of (towels) at the highest temperature.

You many pay £100s more for functions that are never used or for those that work no better than the basic functions. All machines will give timed washes at user selected temperatures.

Reply to
alan_m

Sure, but it isnt necessarily the same 3 in all households and with modern electronic controls it doesn?t cost anything to have more than 3/5

In mine its just one now, but its possible it might be more than one in the future.

That isnt the case anymore.

And neither is that.

Not all, some of the older ones don?t.

Reply to
Jack98

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> writes

Agreed!

Yes, the usual 'every day' wash, a hot wash and a quick wash.

I have given up looking at specs for domestic appliances now, and just buy whatever is on offer at the time. They all do the same basic job whether fridge, washing machine or whatever.

Reply to
Graeme

Or too little. If anyone who may want to use it might develop poor sight, watch out as the current ones are almost an eyesight and dexterity test in themselves. Many can be controlled by phone apps that are designed for nuclear scientists.

RIDC.org is your friend there are only ten worth considering so you won't have much to worry about. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The lingerie wash on my machine has never been used:-)

Reply to
ARW