London to Sidmouth OT

Now well retired and having to face driving from North West London to Sidmouth in South Devon, during a weekday mid morning.

Google maps tell me:

using M4: its 203 miles and takes 3hr 52 m

using M3+A303:its 178 miles and takes 3hr 26 m

I don't mind motorway driving, but find it a bit boring. I wondering what the Drivers here would consider the best route for them to choose please.

Thanks.

Reply to
john west

I like the A303, not the least because its got Stonehenge on it

I used the M4 a few times when you could get away with doing it at 130mph.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Outside of holidays and half term, I would use the A303 route. More interesting. Someone even wrote a book about it. There was aso a program on BBC4 when someone drove along it in a Moggy 1000 traveller.

You can ogle at Stonehenge too.

Reply to
Andrew

Right past Cadbury Castle, a contender for Arthur's Camelot.

TW

Reply to
TimW

I've always rather liked the A303 - nicer drive...

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Stonehenge (on the A303) can be a serious problem.

Reply to
charles

M3/A303, definitely. It's shorter, faster and more scenic. But check for roadworks before you set off, and be prepared to change your mind if there appears to be any major holdups on that route. The big disadvantage of the A303 is that it has several lengthy single-carriageway sections, so it's more vulnerable to being blocked by a serious accident. Although, on the other hand, the fact that the single carriageway sections are't controlled access means it's relatively easy to find an alternative route via non-trunk roads if necessary.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

It's a nice road, but you're less likely to be able to predict the journey time than by motorway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

john west snipped-for-privacy@mail.invalid posted

I do this journey regularly, and at the time you state the M3/A303 route is by far the better one. Even Stonehenge is not bad on a weekday mid-morning.

I wouldn't dream of using the M4, because then you would have to finish the journey on the M5, and that stretch of motorway is more prone to be closed by police than any other I know in southern England.

Reply to
Maxwell Boltzmann

A303.

If you feel the need for a break there are several ex Little Chefs that are now Starbucks. When you get on to the dual carriageway that starts at Mere the first exit (signposted for Stourhead NT) and then back towards Mere there a brush manufacturer (Hillbrush) who have a rather nice new cafe which is less "corporate" than Starbucks or there's a tearoom in the town. There are several cafes in Honiton and my favourite is Boston Tea Party which is at the London end of the town on the north side of the high street.

Stonehenge is usually slow but the real problems happen at the obvious peak times (which includes local commuting).

The 303 has a range of "escape routes" if things do go wrong.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Do most people check their route every time they make a journey apart from very local runs?

I do it from Doncaster back to Barnsley every time. I know the way but there are two obvious routes available (and more less obvious routes if required). All you have to do is speak into your mobile phone to see if there is a road problem on one of the routes.

Reply to
ARW

Not as good as Avebury:-(

But well done for doing 130mph even if it upsets a few people.

I always get a buzz at those speeds.

Reply to
ARW

A303 is pleasant, but be prepared for delay on the cart track beside Stonehenge. But mid-week, late morning in February should be Ok.

Reply to
DJC

Much as Mark says. We used to do the trip to Exeter several times per year. The 303 is the more pleasant drive- less boring etc- but a real pain if there is a hold up or a slow moving lorry etc - we got stuck behind some wide load on one trip and it seemed to take forever to by it.

Of course motorways can get blocked but at least they have several lanes to start with.

Reply to
Brian Reay

years ago - probably 1972 - I had to take a disco and some lighting towers down to do a gig at Dartmouth naval college in my trusty Bedford CA MkII.

We left at 2 a.m. in the belief the A303 would be clear - it was a bank holiday weekend.

It was solid with caravans all heading West. At 40 mph. I spend the 20 odd miles around Stonehenge on the right hand side of the road at 55mph only pulling into the left when I saw headlights coming

Once I had to brake sharply and nearly got impaled on a piece of scaffolding.

Driving ain't what it used to be..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The other thing about the A303 is that caravans and motorhomes can slow up traffic, if the latter is towing a trailer the extra length of the combination can make overtaking difficult. School holiday times are probably best avoided, but visitors to the SW number in seven figures and the slower-moving caravans can be present at any time.

Reply to
Spike

Indeed reading this post seemed to remind me that in the 70s and 80s I was always getting stuck behind slow caravans and slow lorries. I think that nowadays despite being bigger/heavier lorries have much more power and are rarely slow (except perhaps up long inclines) but I am also bothered much less by caravans.

Is it just me or are there

1) Less caravans on the road (more budget hotels available than in the 70s/80s) 2) Caravans generally pulled by great big 4*4 rather than Mr Miggins in his Marina so don't hold traffic up so much. 3) General increase in traffic volumes has reduced average speed so caravans don't stand out as being at the front of the queue. 4) Warped perception on my part and they are still as bad as they ever were.
Reply to
Chris B

No

Yes. More power. See 5.

Not true. Roads have increased in width so there is still same amount of congestion

5) you simply have more power. My 1600 CA MkII would barely do 70, and was happiest around 55mph

I haven't owned a car in the last 40 years that cant do at least 90mph Enjoying my new (old) XF with a shade under 300bhp. Handy for getting past muggles.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Spike snipped-for-privacy@mail.invalid posted

I've not found them a problem. The A303 has many stretches of dual carriageway that you can usually get past them if there's just a modest number, and I haven't seen this thing about the roads being jammed with them. Mind you I take care not to travel on Saturdays in summer.

Tractors are more of a problem, but they are much faster than they used to be, so at least you're doing 40mph behind them instead of 20 like the old days.

Not much help if the police decide to block them all for six hours because somebody's rear-ended somebody else.

Reply to
Maxwell Boltzmann

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:06:07 +0000, john west snipped-for-privacy@mail.invalid wrote:

If you do use the 303 watch for the cameras! There's one at the bottom of the hill approaching Amesbury. It amazes me how many people go past it at 60mph when the speed limit is 70. Not far past Stonehenge you drop into Winterborne Stoke where there's one in the 40 limit. The next one is just after the end of the dual carriageway after you've crossed under the A36 (Salisbury/Bath) and just after the Teffont Magna turn - 60mph and people panic and slow down to 50 or even 40. Couple of miles later you hit a very short piece of dual carriageway downhill. Police have been known to sit both at the top and bottom. Now you go through Chicklade (50 limit) and there is then a steep hill up - two lanes up, one down 60 limit camera half way up very short run off at the top. Nice long section of dual carriageway past Mere, Wincanton ends at Sparkford. Just after the roundabout the two up one down lanes end by a garage and a cafe with a US 50s diner theme (Mattia). People often racing to get ahead despite the 50 limit. Over the brow of the hill there's another camera (50 limit). Dual carriageway again until you get to the Ilminster bypass which is a horrible piece of road (ymmv). Two lanes one way, one the other then one lane one way and two the other. Changes several times. Towards the west end, just before the end of a 2 lane westbound bit there's a camera (60 limit) because of the racing to get past people already doing 70! From the end of the bypass to Honiton it's eseentially 50 limit with a short bit of dual carriageway about half way and a bit of

40 thrown in just before Honiton.
Reply to
Graham Harrison