Ebay listing checker

I know some people here like spotting the ebay fakes... I don't know if this tool learns from submitted searches

Inspector Jane Donaldson of Police Scotland and Vistalworks CEO, Vicky Brock, launch innovative new technology that protects consumers from the harm of illicit goods, by letting them check for fakes before they buy.

Our winning concept was developed in conjunction with Police Scotland, HMRC and Trading Standards Scotland, who now use our commercial solution.

Use our simple query tool to check a product or seller URL before you buy. We?ll warn you if there is a potential risk of the product being fake, illicit or dangerous - and you can decide for yourself how you want to proceed.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Its all very sad that its come down to this. So making money from stopping people being ripped off, hum how does this sit morally, I guess its no worse than anti virus software should be free with an os, or something. I'd have thought Ebay and others might already be vetting people in this way by now themselves. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I just checked my own current listing and got this:

"Shop With Care!

We can?t yet give a clear answer on this one, so take extra care. Check the format, size and description detail meets your expectations. Read any negative reviews. Ask yourself if it is plausible a seller could be offering legitimate products at this price."

Which really doesn't help at all.

I then tried it on something minor I bought recently (and believe to be genuine). Exactly the same result.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

It seems to do that for most things. Some do this:

High risk warning!

Characteristics of this listing are often associated with fake or illicit products. There may be a higher risk of this product being poor quality, faulty or unfit for purpose.

The listing was:

Watch out for fake sand, everyone!

Theo

Reply to
Theo

From previous replies it seems to give arse covering responses. I wonder how it will fare if it warns off legitimate business and the insulted seller is in a litigative mood?

Reply to
Cynic

:-)

Thought I'd try something different, a new Apple Watch, and got:

Seems legitimate!

Based on the listing information available, this seems like the real deal. Shop safe & tell us how you got on so we can keep improving

Has this helped you?

But even then, what would help is if they took some responsibility. For example, they make sure you get a refund if it is fake.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

+1 For a item manufactured in the UK and sold on Ebay by same company. A complete waste of time even checking.
Reply to
alan_m

So if you are selling fakes and give them some positive feedback about your listing they will OK it for other buyers.

Reply to
alan_m

I was somewhat surprised to see Police Scotland supporting a for-profit company launch a product which - while promised to be always free to consumers - has obvious opportunities to extract value from manufacturers and traders. Eg

"For a monthly payment of X [possibly related to turnover?] we'll carry out checks on your business and, if satisfied, give your products correspondingly positive ratings."

I hope Police Scotland and others in the public sector will be even handed with any competitors, and are alive to the risks of creating a de facto monopoly provider.

Reply to
Robin

Makes me wonder whether they are positioning themselves ready to be taken over by ebay themselves?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google