TPI

when a tyre pressure light comes on how do you know which one is faulty if the tyre pressures are fine? .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Does the tyre monitor *actually* have pressure sensors, or is it the type that works by sensing different wheel speeds over time?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, it took me a little while before I realised how they work without a pneumatic slip-ring!

Reply to
Graham.

When it happened to me I just recallibrated the system and monitored the pressures manually for a couple of days.

Perhaps tyre wear on the front axle can increase the speed of the wheels sufficiently to trigger the warning.

Reply to
Graham.

don't know I was viewing a 2009 mustang and I assume there is a Tx unit in the wheel at each valve ....

jeezus that looks complicated!

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

think I will look for an 05 or 06 which doesn't have them .......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

bugger it must be the first type...stuff that ....

Jim GM4DHJ ...

have to go for a 2010 or later to get normal valve ones......stuff it 2005

2006 doesn't have ANY will look for one of those ......
Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

bloody band type on the car I looked at...no way messing about with these .....

Jim GM4DHJ ...

I see... How do rain sensors work? I've tried tapping the windscreen to simulate rain, but the wipers don't come on.

Reply to
Graham.

I assume they detect reflection from drops on the glass, mine only operates in a small area behind the driver's mirror

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Graham. writes

They don't, and I don't know what was wrong with the switches or knob that gave me control of the wiper speed.

Reply to
Bill

Mine does work pretty well. It is good for those days when the rain almost stops then starts again or when you get sudden spray from a wagon as you pass and then much less again.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Mine too, sometimes the sensitivity for the intermittent wipe needs a nudge up or down a notch, but I never switch the wiper stalk to "off" now.

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 11/07/2017 22:06, Steve Walker wrote: It is good for those days when the rain

You aren't supposed to drive down the railway

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I was thinking more of the covered type and the horses hooves splashing water from the puddles in the potholes :)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I think mine (on a VW) use IR LEDs and an optical sensor. Seem to work pretty well.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The sensor is usually behind the rear view mirror surrounded by a blacked out area.

Reply to
The Other Mike

They measure the amount of light that leaks out of the screen from an IR light source, It changes when there are raindrops on the surface, The sensor is usually behind the rear view mirror.

Reply to
Huge

Don't they actually look at back scatter - the amount that returns to the sensor? Occasionally if mine has been left turned on, the angle of the sun can trigger it on a dry screen.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon