TOT Need help

Gents, I have the job of converting a mobile ice-cream machine in a van ;(my daugh ter's), the machine presently being driven by the van's engine, to also be able to run instead on 230v AC when in sensitive or confined places (such a s at Food Fairs, Farmers' Markets etc.) The job is pretty straightforward; I know the required speed, there is adeq uate space for the motor, I only need to add a Fenner Taper-Lock pulley to the original drive shaft and a belt to the motor and any necessary switch g ear. The only thing I need to know is the motor power required. The van engine ( an old Perkins) runs at idle and, with its universal governor, just sags a bit when the ice

-cream machine clutch is engaged. Is there anyone in this great pool of knowledge that can help, please? Perh aps you have owned an electric ice-cream machine, or repaired one, or know someone who owns one who would let you look at the motor plate. I would be immensely grateful for any information; she put her redundancy money into t his and I want her to be able to earn a living from it. TIA!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Assuming it is just a freezer unit, could you simply add a bog standard refrigeration compressor to it, with shut-off valves to isolate the compressor that is not currently being run?

Reply to
Toby

When I was a kid, ice-cream vans belched leaded fumes all over the place, never seemed to put people off ...

Has she already got a shotgun?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Having exhibited at fairs etc, I'd say her one problem will h mbe elf and safety inspection. It is my experience that any kind of non commercial equipment will not be allowed anywhere near the public. Maybe a long hose from the engine exhause out of a window?

Also of course, once you start selling any kind of food you need to have a licence in the area where you are selling not just where you live if its mobile. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Do similar sized stationary units exist? If so, finding out their rating plate values would get you into the right ball-park.

It's not clear to me what the shaft drives. Is it a freezer compressor? Is it some sort of pump to drive the stuff out under pressure?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Your modification appears to have overlooked just how you stop the electric motor turning the van engine. Another clutch or quickly removable belts are probably needed.

Reply to
A right charlie

Do you mean a "Mr Whippy" soft ice cream machine or something else?

If you have a make/model number have a google, something may pop up.

Or do these help?

langid=3&lngid=3&stid=1

angid=3&lngid=3&stid=1

As others have hinted I hope she has done her homework on required licences/premits/food regulations/certification etc etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How do you stop the engine turning the ice cream machine at 30 mph down the High St? I'd assume the drive to the ice cream machine is via a PTO of some sort hopefully with an interlock with the main gear box so:

a) You can't drive off with the PTO engaged. b) You can't engage the PTO unless the main transmission is in neutral.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So when at a fair, where does the 240v supply come from? You would have to buy some sort of mobile generator which defeats the object. It would need to be twice the size of your motor to allow for starting current. These ice cream vans are the way they are for a reason. All the ones I've seen have the van engine idling for at least some of the time.

I think some use dry ice to keep the goods cold.

The only problem arises in a (semi) indoor situation where the exhaust fumes could be a problem.

Surely it would be cheaper to have some sort of separate refrgerated mains operated display for these odd ocassions. Also, some venues you wouldn't be able to take the vehicle inside.

Seems a pointless modification to me.

But best of luck to her, I hope she does OK. Hard work/hassel and long hours. Also lots of competition for customers and pitches.

Reply to
harryagain

These days if the organisers ban the use of individual gensets some form of mains will provided, if required and at extra cost, for each pitch. Probably limited to 16 A maybe less and coming from a large, "silent" genset located away from the public areas.

Indoors running an engine is a no-no, again the organisers ought to provide mains if required. Having vehicle indoors (FSVO "indoors") opens another can of worms, a common requirement is draining the fuel tank,

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

aughter's), the machine presently being driven by the van's engine, to also be able to run instead on 230v AC when in sensitive or confined places (su ch as at Food Fairs, Farmers' Markets etc.)

adequate space for the motor, I only need to add a Fenner Taper-Lock pulley to the original drive shaft and a belt to the motor and any necessary swit ch gear.

ne (an old Perkins)

ice-cream machine clutch is engaged.

Perhaps you have owned an electric ice-cream machine, or repaired one, or k now someone who owns one who would let you look at the motor plate. I would be immensely grateful for any information; she put her redundancy money in to this and I want her to be able to earn a living from it.

The shaft, which is connected to the engine through a 12v DC operatedclutch (just like an air-con) (this clutch will prevent the electric motor driving the engine) drives a beater in the freezing chamber and a freezer compressor (which is driven through a second 12v DC clutch controlled by a thermostat). There is a safety interlock to disconnect the shaft if the engine speed rises above idle.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit