TOT: Mam Tor

I keep that pair just in the car.

I walk around without glasses - really have no need except for reading and a slight reduction in blurring for road signs.

I have reading glasses everywhere in the house, and I usually carry the monocle.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In these discussions, it's worth mentioning the range of the prescription, i.e the difference between the near and far strengths. I've never had any problem with varifocals with up to 2 dioptres difference.

Reply to
Max Demian

You mean bend the arms for a tighter fit or bend the lugs to fit the bridge of your nose?

Reply to
alan_m

Well, I've been wearing spectacles since the age of ten. I have never bothered to check what the prescription is. From the first time I could see clearly what I was not previously seeing, I have just been happy to have the corrected view. Varifocals have been used by me for about 25 years.

Reply to
Richard

You can get single vision specs quite cheaply, so I'd get some with your new prescription.

They usually come as distance or reading, but for the sort of work you do, you could get a pair made with lenses that are intermediate between the two. Anyway, that's what I did. Those are no good for driving, as the distance vision is slightly blurred, and they are no good for reading the very small print on bottles, but they are great for working at arms length.

Opticians are used to making glasses for people who work on computer screens. You want something similar. Single vision.

Reply to
GB

+1

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes, although if working a lot with paper (especially small print) *and* screen at the same time then varifocals which cover intermediate and reading can be good. Helps if you if you have an employer who'll pay.

Reply to
Robin

An optician should mark the points where the lenses are designed to be looked through for far and near, and check that the pupils are indeed behind these. Not so important in non-varifocals, more so in varifocals. And that can be adjusted by skillful bending of the bridge...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Yes. For some reason, I do not see Alan's post to which you have responded. Yeah, I know... should've gone to specsavers ;-)

Reply to
Richard

my adjustments (professional and DIY) on metal frame have always been done by bending the nose pads in or out.

Reply to
Robin

Yes, with frames that have pads. The DIY in my case has always been after a painful inadvertent adjustment.

Reply to
Richard

My distance glasses are actually helpful from about 60 cm and more; the intermediate ones - for about 70 cm - make the TV less SD at about 3m, so there's quite a range.

Reply to
PeterC

The Doncaster branch has banned disability scooters.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's like being on good drugs for the first few days, driving is a real hoot. Or going down stairs. At first I'd push mine up onto my forehead when ever I was going down. They didn't get in the way then!

Even 6years later I can still get my feet and brain a bit out of sync if I'm in a hurry on stairs.

Reply to
mm0fmf

You put the varifocals on upside down in that case. Works, but they fall off a lot.

Reply to
mm0fmf

A bit too far away to pick up mid week, cannot go on Saturday due to work. I will be back there hopefully in a week or so. I can still wear my old glasses if needs be.

Reply to
ARW

Bad.

Reply to
ARW

A lot of those things are enormous. Most people with them can walk a few steps into the shop, after parking them outside.

Reply to
Max Demian

In that case, try mine with your single vision glasses perched front.

I used to do that with a pair of +1 ready-readers to use the PC when I only had bi-focals and it worked a treat!

Reply to
Terry Casey