Closing ceremony

I hope all those "bright idea" light bulbs are GLS with a BC cap.

Reply to
Graham.

In message , Graham. writes

Funny - I was just thinking the same thing

how conditioned we have become

Reply to
geoff

Looked like low energy though ;-)

Still that all seemed to go off nicely, without too many cringe-worthy past their best performances!

Reply to
John Rumm

I was looking at them and disappointedly, noticed a screw threed.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

What closing ceremony? what event?

Reply to
F Murtz

I think there's been some commonwealth games or some such thing going on recently.

(to be fair I did watch a lot of the footy coverage)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

There was a rock concert in London that was on the TV last night.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

I was expecting there to be a heavy duty lead batt in the hat or p'haps a Lion but when one of the athletes (Mo Farrah I think) pinched one at the end you could see that the it was running from a small battery pack in a jacket pocket (about the size of 3 x AA batts together) with a wire running to the hat so they must have been pretty efficient.

I hadn't realised Bradford & Bingley were on the sponsors list .

While we're her, wasn't the sound shit! Well, in places.

Reply to
fred

I had difficulty keeping awake!

Was the Queen there? The speeches started "Your Majesty, etc.", but I didn't *see* her. Maybe, if she *was* there, the cameras kept off her in order not to show her looking miserable, as in the opening ceremony?

Talking of the speeches, have Coe and Roffe fallen out? They both looked as miserable as sin, kept as far away from each other as possible, never smiled once nor made any attempt to acknowledge the cheers of the crowd. Is there something going on behind the scenes which we haven't been told about?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Perhaps they're both being laid off for 4 years?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No. The Queen wasn't there. You'd have thought that Coe and Rogge could have amended their pre-prepared speeches on the hoof to that extent.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I thought Coe was OK, just a man trying to have some gravitas, etc. But Roffe was like a robot - in English and French - not sure if he is human. He did not seem to bend his neck at all - maybe he is suffering whiplash from one of the dodgy Olympic drivers. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I wondered if it was some archaeic thing because Harry was there as the queen's representative.

Reply to
mogga

Maybe there were royals from other countries there as guests. Or maybe the Freddie Mercury / Brian May bit was misinterpreted.

Reply to
Reentrant

Amazing how the crowd responded to Freddy's 'performance' from his grave. One of the best bits, along with May on guitar later.

Majesty was plural, and not referring to HMQ but the other overseas 'royals'

HMQ and Phil the Greek are at Balmoral for their summer holiday and have been for a week or so.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I was watching via DSat and fed through a prologic decoder. I actually thought it was fairly good (way better than the jubilee for example)

Reply to
John Rumm

He was much the same at the opening... not one of natures natural communicators perhaps. Coe seemed to be losing his voice slightly as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Still polishing turds.

Reply to
stuart noble

We found it mixed, those with strong voices appeared to fill the arena (figuratively) whilst the less strong appeared to have hollow, unbalanced sound.

eg, Ray Davies (Kinks) wasn't at his best anyway but his sound lacked depth, in contrast Emeli Sande's strong vocals appeared to be reproduced better.

(I'm sure Dave P could put it better).

The cynics in the group were suggesting that the live mike mix was crap but those miming to playback were fine (Although Emily would have sung live).

The later acts appeared better to us.

Reply to
fred