TOT: kaolin and morphine

TOT even by uk.d-i-y standards.

I am running out (excuse the pun!) of kaolin and morphine and it seems no-one stocks it any more. Does anyone know if it has been banned / discontinued? Does anyone know of a legitimate source (I don't want to buy it on the black market / dark web or any such place)?

Reply to
Scott

I've not seen the real stuff for years. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been available for ages. I once tried to buy it in the USA and thought I was going to be arrested.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I think it's been superceeded by other medicines. In particular Loperamide.

Loperamide is an opioid, but it doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier, so it has no recreational use and is therefore not controlled.

Reply to
Caecilius

I think its now prescription only as junkies were distilling it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Update: It is still available but pharmacists do't seem to want to stock it.

Buy online

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Known, if I've got it right, as 'Turkey Rhubarb' by my grandmother who used to 'use' it fairly frequently. As a boy at the time, I had no idea of the contents...

If you google for it under the brand name - ie: Care Kaolin and Morphine - the first page lists quite a few places that used to stock it but two (Co-operative Healthcare and LLoyds Pharmacy) that claim they still do. Scroll through a few more pages and you should be able to pluck a few remaining stockists out of the rest.

HTH

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Its the Morphine bit, it has to be on prescription due to the paranoia of people getting addicted, though a memory of the taste might suggest this should be unlikely! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You should try Oramorph. Lovely.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My nanny used to put laudanum on my dummy to keep me quiet.

Reply to
Max Demian

Larger Boots stores still have it behind the pharmacy counter. I bought some in 2015. It has a use-by date of 2016 but I don't think it 'goes off' as such, you just have to give it a really good shake to bring the kaolin back into suspension.

Brilliant for those rare occasions when gastric flu is doing the rounds, or I have been buying reduced for quick sale stuff in the supermarkets. The worst I can ever remember was low-calory egg mayonnaise. I was puking up gruesome-looking stuff for 36 hours. Won't make that mistake again.

Another thing that seems to have vanished is Ingram lanolin shaving cream. My local inde pharmacy says they can no longer get it.

Reply to
Andrew

No, it was never on prescription. For many years Boots made buyers sign a register, but that's it. I believe the druggies were buying it and extracting the morphine.

Signing for it ceased some time ago, but finding it on sale is more of a problem. Horsham Boots were selling in 2015, where I bought a replacement for the 10-year-out-of-date bottle that I keep for puking emergencies.

Reply to
Andrew

'Superseded' !!!.

Most pharmacies prefer to flog high-margin stuff in fancy packaging.

Kaolin and Morphine is cheap, little profit.

Reply to
Andrew

Never on prescription. Larger Boots do (did in 2015) sell it.

Reply to
Andrew

You're supposed to take it in a small quantity of warm water, not neat .

Reply to
Andrew

More seriously, people were becoming addicted and drinking huge quantities of the kaolin mixture, and getting terrifying, lfe-threatening constipation.

Reply to
Roger Hayter