`toothed return' for door fixing?

Hi all,

I am building an extension, and am pondering how to fix the door into the door opening. Its a 300mm cavity wall, with a 90mm deep door frame recessed by 50mm to match the doors on the rest of the house. A quick diagram is here:

manufacturers of the door say that I must put frame fixings through the thinnest part of the frame, but that would be too close to the inner edge of the blockwork to be sensible. I seem to recall coming across a photo of something I think was called a `toothed return'. Rather than putting a full height return off the leaf into the cavity, just a few blocks are returned where the frame is to be fixed:

this a sensible thing to do though? I can't remember where I saw the photo, and whether there were any things to beware of if doing it, so any advice or alternative suggestions would be welcome. It might not even be called a toothed return, which may be why I can't find anything about it again now.

thanks,

dan.

Reply to
dent

Hi Dan Can you check your emails ... I've emailed you direct Ash (Neil)

Reply to
Ash

Ash,

Unless the conversation is private and off-topic, perhaps any reply relevant to the post would better be posted within the group rather than e-mail, so that others in a similar situation could also take advantage of how you managed to overcome the problem - it would also leave a 'history' that others could search for and avoid the re-writing of the answer many times.

Also, when replying to a post, it would be far easier to leave some of the original content in so that there is a 'flow' of easily read information so that the replies make sense - particularly if the thread is a long one - and that avoids having to 'jump' back-and-fore between posts to find out what is happening.

Sorry to be a little pedantic about this

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Neil kindly pointed out a problem with the URLs that I supplied, that I have now corrected. Nothing to do with the query that I was asking about.

regards,

dan.

Reply to
dent

This is nature's way of giving you an excuse to buy one of those Arbortech saws...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Could you build the frame in as you go? Then you could use these:

end goes into the frame,and the other end is sandwiched into a mortar joint. No unsightly screw holes on the visible faces of the frame.

mark

Reply to
mark

Thanks, Mark. I hadn't come across those before, and that looks like an easy solution.

dan.

Reply to
ct