Anti-slam / door damper devices?

I am looking for something to keep my children, my wife, and all other visitors from slamming my front door. I found something called a door damper - dictator.com makes them, but they only sell to OEMs. This device attaches to door frame and door and consists of a hydraulic cam that engages when the door closes.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
Charles Gilley

I don't remember the brand name, but I got a decent little unit at Home Depot. Works just like those institutional ones, it's just smaller. Easy to install, adjustable. Actually, I bought it to ensure the door gets closed, but it also works as a damper.

Joe F.

Reply to
rb608

To the guy who says stop **ssing them off.. I say, lol :) Funny, you are. The problem is that I have a giant family, and when their friends come over, the door gets opened, and bam, opened, bam... you know the routine...

The problem with the two way dampers is that the children will rip the damper right out of the door - they will find a way to slam it. This is why I like the dictator version so much - you can slam it all you want, and when the wheel engages, the damping kicks in...

anyway.. thanks for the suggestions and the laughs....

Reply to
Charles Gilley

Maybe 50 years ago I remember that we had a popular damper installed on a screen-door that pulled-shut via a long spring -- hook screwed into door, another into wall -- but man, was it LOUD, after flinging open the door and running out, letting it close behind you, by itself.

I'm sure that today our engineers (engineers-in-China?) have devised *far* superior devices for this purpose, and probably for less money too. But we didn't have the (chinese) engineers then, so here's what *we* had:

It was a little rubber-ball, somewhat smaller than a ping-pong ball, with metal rod sticking out of it for about two inches, with something, I forget exactly what, some kind of loop bent into the metal, with some kind of loose screw or something stuck through it, eventually screwed into the door, about one inch from the vertical-edge-of-the-door.

Now, when you flung open the door and ran out, letting the door slam behind you, under its own closing-power (the now-stretched string), as the door is swinging closed, faster and faster, the centrifugal (centripetal? I've found the diff, whatever it is, confusing, and have somehow not mastered it) force flings that ball out into the air, so that when the door finally hits the door-frame, it hits the rubber-ball, and bounces, instead of slamming.

Seemed to me, back then, that it worked, accomplished what it was supposed to do.

Again, I'm sure far better and far less expensive devices exist today -- especially so since I haven;t seen one of these devices in about, again, 45 or 50 years.

I hope this has been of service to those continuing this quiet-door-closing reesearch.

David

Reply to
David Combs

The hydraulic closers designed for storm doors do a wonderful job of damping things.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

replying to David Combs, Moelalon wrote: Dave that is just what I've been looking for...they did a good job for a reasonable price...I want one for my old fashioned wooden screen door with a long spring that closes it.

Reply to
Moelalon

replying to David Combs, merleman wrote: For david and any one else seeking an answer to the sound of a slamming screen door go to cabinlivingmagazine.com look for the article "silencing the screen door" by Gary Cambell.He describes how to make the swing ball slam stopper of old with some very simple parts available anywhere.I will tell you i remember them and the one made with his instructions has worked perfectly and has a comforting kinda sound enjoy!!!!!AND PLEASE DON'T SLAM THE DOOR

Reply to
merleman

What about just attaching a storm door closer?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Huh, what???

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Wed 19 Jul 2017 11:09:01a, Tekkie? told us...

You'll find them here...

Wayne Boatwright