Exterior Door and Pricing

Hello,

I need a little advice on replacing one of our exterior doors. The door measurement is 31 1/2" x 79" so I'm assuming that the door I need to order is 32x80? Also the current door is wood, I have another exterior door which is steel, should I change the wood door to steel or will the wood door hold up better? I would have to paint it white so it matches the top one. We have painted the wood door a few times and it has held up excellent over the past 30 years.

One other question on labor, I'm getting quotes between $500-600 for the installation which will have to include the removal of the existing storm door and reinstallation onto the new door as well as picking the door up from the local supply company. I live just outside of the Philadelphia area, Home Depot charges $450 for the installation, is a budget of $300 unreasonable?

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
nick

Metal doors are more secure.

Installation price depends on your situation and type of door.

I don't recommend HD install. Yeah, they'll keep coming out as long as you complain but I think you're better off finding a local door installer to do it. If you use HD the installer will be irritated because it just means HD gets part of his money for being a middleman.The installer will cut corners to make up for the difference. That's what happened to me with my last HD door install.

olddog

Reply to
retired53

Home Depot charges $450 for the

No, you can budget whatever you want. It has nothing, however, to do with actual costs.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

*Apparently it is since you haven't got a quote for less than $450.00. Take a framing square and insert in your door frame. If your house has settled a bit in the past 30 years that door frame will be a little out of square. It will take a lot of work to make a new door swing perfectly. It might be easier with a prehung door, but I am no expert.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Sorry I should have mentioned that I was going with a prehung door.

Reply to
nick

$450, to put in a prehung door means it has a frame, its about a 1 hour job, I am doing 3 and expect to pay near 200 with hydraulic door closers that take more time than a door to instal. Fiberglass doors insulate better than metal foam core.

Reply to
ransley

wrote

Yes, but measure a prehung one at the local HD to make sure. In an older house, it is possible you have a 30inch at that spot (unlikely, but could be). If your 31 1/2 thre accounted for the frame too, then 32 is right.

Steel actually holds up better with minimal care. Most steel ones come in white as cheapest. You pay extra for another color.

Ouch! You may be able to find a local handyman who will do it for far less if you pickup the door and have it ready. This is vry area dependant but I paiid only 100$ labor to have this done here in Norfolk. At that, I paid more than the fellow asked for but the work was great and he underpriced himself.

Somewhat tricky to do yourself if you've never seen it done. Pretty easy but really takes 2 people to make it go fast (so one can hold while the other shims etc). *If* you have some good friends, at least one of which is experienced, you could be the second person and put it in. The door alone (prehung, sans screen) should run about 150$ tops for a stock simple one with no peephole.

Our last one took about 2 hours and only that because we had some framing issues to deal with (had to raise that block above the door frame as it was too low for the 80 inch top in our case).

Reply to
cshenk

The $450 from Home Depot is just for the labor in my area.

Reply to
nick