Too much sport on BBC TV?

I think so, but there I am not a sport enthusiast. Having ignored reams of sport reporting on breakfast TV I settled down to watch a report about knife crimes interviewing the Mayor of London, then to towards the end they started to talk about sport with him! Perhaps there should be a sport channel, after all they have done it for the children's programmes.

Reply to
Broadback

There is, on Sky

. Unfortunately they don't have exclusive rights to all major sporting events, and some of it leaks out into other channels :-(

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Well, if you mean yesterday it was an unusual day with Tennis, Cricket, Grand Prix and netball all on the one day. Quite how come it all fell on the same day seems a tad lacking in planning between the sports, but then nobody ever said those in charge of sport were known for their communication prowess did they?

I agree about sport, it seems to me that even with some big sporting franchises now being owned by pay channels there is still far too much that has to be put out on regular channels. If they did get rid of a few of the crap channels or make them part time when there is no sport then it could be made into a sport free zone on the main channels.

Mind you they would still find some kind of sport, I'm sure even if its Dwarf Throwing or Bog Snorkelling!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

More to the point I didn't hear a mention of the fact that knife crime is mostly done by gangs of black youths. Someone said to me in the pub the other night, "Import the Third World and you get Third World behaviour." That's how many people view it. Why not bring that aspect of it out into the open? It won't go away by pretending it isn't happening.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes we have failed to integrate cultures. This is a major issue and why places like New Malden in Surrey are known as little Korea. You only need to look at what Brits do when they go overseas. Do they learn the language and integrate? No they live in little British enclaves. Sadly because it seems that some minorities seem to be less employable its hardly surprising they turn to crime. its a self fulfilling prophesy. If you come from a place where you are treated as shit, you behave accordingly if you see no difference in the new country.

I have met a lot of people with various ethnic origins who have integrated and do not behave like these people do. Quite how you solve it now is hard to say. Most of the people are second generation and were born here into the culture of the enclave, not the British culture. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The BBC already covers bog snorkelling quite regularly, albeit only briefly, from Llanwrtyd Wells, as part of its 'Oneness' ident!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

They could make them soap free too.

Reply to
dennis

Its not just black youths doing it, the scooter gangs aren't all black for instance.

Its more down to the likelihood of getting caught than anything else.

Reply to
dennis

I agree that it is about time the BBC had a dedicated Sports channel the amount of regular programming that gets shunted by the likes of Wimbledon is riiculous, during the last fortnight the number of times BBC 1 & BBC 2 were showing tennis - granted different matches - at the same time was overkill. Mind you they will probably want higher licence fees to do so and us licence payers who are not into all this sport will still have to contribute to it.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It's called Radio 5 Live, surely ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Nope. It's mostly (but not exclusively) down to the drugs trade.

Reply to
Andrew

legalise everything - then they can just queue up outside Boots.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Back to Grandstand on Saturday PM as the only BBC sport program.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

No it wasn't. I used to get home ASAP after school during Wimbledon, to watch it until coverage went off in the evening. Telly was already on when I got home. And of course the finals and other weekend matches. This was all during the late 50s early 60s.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I did say 'mostly'. It's about 90% I think, for both assailants and victims.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I would be happy to have a STB that allows the (then) encoded Sports stuff that I don't want or want to have to pay for.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The GB GP and Wimbledon Finals day almost always clash

tim

Reply to
tim...

Don't you find though that things bunch together. Generally I thought it was just busses that came in packs, but it seems that sports finals attract each other around the same date. Also affected are medical appointments social events and people who want to come and visit. There is some odd fundamental law of the universe that makes such things happen, its a failure in the random number generator controlling the universe. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes but this is because like minded people tend to get together. I remember mods and rockers etc. Any differences are obviously picked on and hence there is safety in numbers and 'your own kind' effects. I'm more intrigued at the moment about the anti Jewish thing. We I think all look at Israel as a bit of a rogue these days since they are so arrogant about everything but not all Jewish people agree with theier stance. I'm not Jewish but I know a few and really cannot see a problem at all, yes they stick together too, but then that is the nature of the beast of people with differences. It will be Masons next, mark my words. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

AIUI, Jews and Roman Catholics cannot become either masons or members of parliament, because you have to be a complete prick to want to belong to either group.