Toll roads and the law

Well, I do feel that misuse of these badges is now quite rife. The whole idea is, for whatever reason to get the person as close to where they need to be as possible. See my earlier message for why blind folk need one,(other reasons exist which are location dependent) butthere are conditions like MS where the physical effects vary from day to day. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh dear, lets get off this my disability is worse than yours tack, and by the way, the quote attribution is making me lose thewill to live... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

He is old enough to know better. In his second pubity I think. He has I pads I phones and all that gear. grin

I won't be with him if he tries it.. grin

brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Big high cars are much better for carting wheelchairs and breathing equipment about.

A lot of people's limited mobility means they can walk but not very far, or with great pain.

Yes they would. MS, heart problems, COPD, in fact any cardio-vascular problem can limit the distance a person can walk. There's also mental issues like agoraphobia, which can make a long walk across a car park a nightmare. I have a very close friend who suffered from that and in order to get him from the car to the shop I had to hold on to him to make him feel that little bit safer. Believe me you wouldn't want that quaking, tearful, and frankly embarrassing performance to go on any longer than necessary.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I have a friend with MS who can walk perfectly well for 50 yards but then has to stop for five minutes to recover.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Reply to
dennis

The general principle is that it is what any reasonable person would view as having access.

Anyone can use the track at any time when it is open, irrespective of whether other people are using it or not, simply upon payment of an entry fee? That should make F1 races interesting.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

I once watched a race at Mallory Park with a mini cooper competing with single seaters. Held his lead as long as the track stayed wet but as it began to dry out they just left him standing.

Reply to
hugh

In message , geoff writes

I can assure you the new assessment process would ensure you didn't get a badge.

Reply to
hugh

The vast majority of people have "mental health" problems from time to time just as they have physical health problems - colds, flu etc.

Doesn't mean they are nutters, and they certainly won't get a blue badge under the new system purely on that basis.

Reply to
hugh

Same used to happen with saloon car racing I watched on the telly in the

50s, MK2 Jag vs. Ford Galaxy. Wet - the Jags won. Dry - the Fords won.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Not only that, but my late father found it far easier to transfer from his wheelchair to the seat in a Discovery (and vice versa) than to the much lower seat of a saloon car.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The person who needs the blue badge might not be the driver.

Reply to
polygonum

I think a racing licence for the category may be involved along with a published list of starters and perhaps a safety inspection. I suppose one could argue a track is not open if there is a race on it.

Reply to
thirty-six

I've not found it possible. There have been occasions where I have walked in and found myself gasping and returned directly to my car without picking anything up. Using the trolley as a walking aid is a more accurate description and I'm unable to fill and move a standard trolley.

Reply to
thirty-six

Not true legally or physically. In fact, just plain nonsense.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Harry - why are you so completely unable to dream up your own examples? Why does the disabled person have to push their trolley? I always push ours because partner cannot.

Example the first

You suffer from a problem that results in extreme burning pain in your feet. People with this problem are often prescribed morphine ad lib.

You cannot wear socks as they cause the heat to rise and make the pain worse. Indeed, you can only just about bear to wear the skimpiest open sandals because, if you do not, the pain caused by the surface of the pavement or road is unbearable. And to add to this, any sun on the skin makes it even more painful and delicate.

On top of these issues, if once the problem flares up, it can continue to cause severe pain for hours, days - even weeks.

But once inside the store, the cool air spilling out of the refrigerated units makes life much more bearable for while.

So anything that can reduce the distance that has to be walked is a major boon.

Example the second

You suffer from uncontrollable foot pain when subjected to significant cooling of the feet - something like chilblains (perniosis) but different. Therefore walking through the car park in the winter can be unbearable. And doing so can result in further damage and pain that continues for days afterwards.

So anything that can reduce the distance that has to be walked is a major boon.

Example the third

Combine the above into one person. And yes, there appear to be utter contradictions in this disorder. But they damn well exist.

I assume your next totally compassionless, d*****ad argument will suggest that she should never go out... Or she should always go out at night.

Why the hell have I just wasted that time responding...

Reply to
polygonum

Have you reported your level of disability to the DVLA?

Someone gasping for breath whilst shopping should not be driving a car.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary